Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Plum Crazy Porter

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

Plum Crazy Porter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plum Crazy Porter   Plum Crazy Porter EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 9:40 pm

I also filter my beers so that will also help, but like you say, its a porter so the cloudiness will be negligible at the the worst.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

Plum Crazy Porter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plum Crazy Porter   Plum Crazy Porter EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 9:27 pm

I bet it will be good as all of your beers are. My thought is that I know from making wine that plums have an extremely high pectin content and they say that it is hard to clear it even with larger doses of pectic enzyme. I'm not sure if you've taken that into consideration or how irish moss will do. I'm wondering what kind of cloudiness it would have, or if you would even be able to notice being a porter.
Back to top Go down
http://edelzer@hotmail.com
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

Plum Crazy Porter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plum Crazy Porter   Plum Crazy Porter EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 3:22 pm

Sounds wonderful to me! I love wild game and I love craft beer!
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

Plum Crazy Porter Empty
PostSubject: i love plumb   Plum Crazy Porter EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 3:16 pm

my wifer makes a plumb wine sause for goose, that keeps ya begging for more! i think of how well that meal and a porter would be together and my mouth starts to water. (maybe it is the whole pavlov thing) Laughing
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

Plum Crazy Porter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plum Crazy Porter   Plum Crazy Porter EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 3:12 pm

That sounds like a really good combination of flavors. You don't see plum used enough. I once saw a plum porter sauce recipe for pork. I think it had plums, porter (obviously), brown sugar, and maybe cinnamon or something. Either way, sounds tasty!
Back to top Go down
http://www.muddyrivermashers.com
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

Plum Crazy Porter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plum Crazy Porter   Plum Crazy Porter EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 10:21 am

There are a lot of ways to add fruit to beer. What I wanted to do with the plums was to steep then during the last 10 minutes of the boil. When using real fruit is is often beneficial to freeze the fruit first to help break down the cell walls. If using purees and/or extracts, most of the time they are added to the fermentation and are specifically not to be boiled.

My original idea of the plum nut porter came from 1996 GABF where I sampled a plum nut brown ale made by New Belgium. It was a great beer and would make a great seasonal at the pub. I will be pursuing this plum crazy porter for a seasonal beer for the fall.
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

Plum Crazy Porter Empty
PostSubject: added it after the boil?   Plum Crazy Porter EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 10:03 am

so added it after the boil? then so really the yeast is eating that sugar as well as the extract? it is not a juice, but you are putting the actual fruits to ferment?
Back to top Go down
Beer Dealer

Beer Dealer

Plum Crazy Porter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plum Crazy Porter   Plum Crazy Porter EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 9:50 am

I have done quit a few fruit batches and of course in the Mr Beer...But i always used canned fruit..i did several of what they call blue lightning, which of course has blueberry and then ones with cherrys for Christmas..they all turned out great especially when i started using the liquid yeast and the upgraded dry which i like.....The one thing is you want to use the canned fruit that uses natural fruit juices for the canning and the fruit sugars are prosessed and ready to break down...just a thought..i know it works good for extract brews and put in the wort when it goes into the fermentor after boiled ...Jeff
Back to top Go down
http://www.wwnh.net
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

Plum Crazy Porter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plum Crazy Porter   Plum Crazy Porter EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 1:57 pm

The whole process from start to finish of cleanup takes about 5 hours for a 5 gallon batch. Once you get your strike water to temp, put the the grains in for 1 hour. Then sparging takes about 1/2 hour. Boil time ranges from 90-60 minutes. Then chilling can take about 10 minutes, up 30 minutes depending on the chiller you use.
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

Plum Crazy Porter Empty
PostSubject: i know you can answer this for me   Plum Crazy Porter EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 12:58 pm

i am just curious, if i started brewing all grain, how long does it take? to get into the fermentor? i had a guy tell me it take about 8 hours. i didn't know but i know you do so on average say approximately 6 gallons for a brown, amber, or porter. it takes a long time to make te malt doesn't it?
Back to top Go down
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

Plum Crazy Porter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plum Crazy Porter   Plum Crazy Porter EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 11:44 am

I didn't get a chance to make it. The plums I had were at end of the season and they went bad before I could use them. And then I couldn't get anymore. I may be able to make it now with Chilean plums. I thought I saw some at Dans the other day.
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

Plum Crazy Porter Empty
PostSubject: how did this turn out?   Plum Crazy Porter EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 10:53 am

i am very interested in how this turned out, i typically don't care for fruit in my beer, but i have never heard of anyone adding plums, it seems very interesting, i know if i was at a pub i would have to try it! after all it is a porter too!

i guess i really have only had the normal fruits, orange citrus, and blueberries.

just curious if you were happy with the results
Back to top Go down
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

Plum Crazy Porter Empty
PostSubject: Plum Crazy Porter   Plum Crazy Porter EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 4:25 pm

Letting everyone know I am formulating a recipe for a plum, nut porter. Any suggestions. I pretty much have an idea of what its going to be and how I am going to brew it, just wanted to raise the topic for discussion. Brewing with fruit can be mysterious and scary, and taboo for that matter. Just waiting for the ingredients to arrive. Ordered them today.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Plum Crazy Porter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plum Crazy Porter   Plum Crazy Porter Empty

Back to top Go down

Plum Crazy Porter
Page 1 of 1