Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter

Go down 
+5
Igraf
Michaeljeffreythomas
travis.posey.1291
Mike Philleo
randi philleo
9 posters
AuthorMessage
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 4:15 pm

Come and get it! I want to move the barrel.

The Baltic Porter is ready to be picked up! If you brewed for the barrel, bring a vessel to pick up your beer with during the Thursday meeting or drop one off before hand.
Back to top Go down
http://www.muddyrivermashers.com
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 10:18 pm

Randi and I tested the Baltic and it is good to go. At the next meeting, we will have to decide the time and process by which we'll give you folks back your tasty, tasty porter!
Back to top Go down
Michaeljeffreythomas

Michaeljeffreythomas

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 11:36 am

we can test it Saturday!
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 1:12 pm

I have tested the Baltic Porter. To be sure, I tested the entire contents of the barrel with my palate. The contents meet my standards. Nothing else to see here, moving along...

Ah, just kidding. No, Randi and I will put a sanitized thief into the barrel and test the Baltic and post our findings on the forum. Honest. Smile
Back to top Go down
MadisonJ

MadisonJ

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 1:10 pm

Has anyone heard how the Baltic Porter is coming along or if Mike has tested it yet??

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 4:52 pm

Holy smoke, I'll have to do a wellness check on it and report back! Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:27 pm

Ya, how's it coming? I swear its been like 3 months already. I'm jonesing for some porter!
Back to top Go down
http://edelzer@hotmail.com
Igraf

Igraf

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 11:22 am

How is the Porter coming along, or haven't you tested yet?
Back to top Go down
lwald

lwald

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 6:46 pm

U bet.
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 4:19 pm

Barrel fill tonight!
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 10:12 am

7 o'clock tomorrow night
Back to top Go down
Michaeljeffreythomas

Michaeljeffreythomas

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 10:10 am

What time are we meeting to fill the barrel?
Back to top Go down
MadisonJ

MadisonJ

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 8:42 am

Its sitting in the secondary - anxiously awaiting to be added to the wooden barrel:cheers: 
Back to top Go down
lwald

lwald

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 8:26 pm

Love the porter can't wate to put it in the barrel.
Back to top Go down
Igraf

Igraf

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 3:50 pm

I racked my to the secondary today, what a delicious beer. I used the recipie as posted with saflager.
Back to top Go down
lwald

lwald

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 3:02 pm

Yes I do it's ready to get dry hopped.
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 11:37 am

Everyone got their Baltic's going or planing on doing so soon? This batch needs to be brewed by the 18th this month.
Back to top Go down
Igraf

Igraf

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 1:19 pm

I brewed my batch on July 31st and only had one pack and when I last checked it fermentation appeared to be moving along just fine. I had activity by the next morning.
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 12:58 pm

One sachet of Saflager should be sufficient - it has a yeast cell count high enough to ferment this without any issue.
Back to top Go down
MadisonJ

MadisonJ

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 12:43 pm

Gonna brew this one soon - at 18.5 lbs of grain for a 5 gallon batch, will a basic yeast starter do fine or would you suggest bulking it up a bit??
Back to top Go down
Michaeljeffreythomas

Michaeljeffreythomas

PostSubject: Northerbrewer's baltic porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 11:08 am

For those of you without ingredients Northerbrewer's all grain Baltic porter is really similar. I am sure that it would work for this brew and is easy to order.

I will not be doing a group order.
Michael Thomas
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyThu Aug 01, 2013 9:02 am

Yep! You're in Lance!

There's still room for another 3 or 4 batches.
Back to top Go down
lwald

lwald

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 5:10 pm

Can I still go in on it
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 3:09 pm

Count me in for 5 gallons as well.

If you are gonna do a group order Thomas then I'll go in with you if you want.
Back to top Go down
http://edelzer@hotmail.com
Strixacadicus

Strixacadicus

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 4:41 pm

I will plan on doing 5 gallons too

Adam
Back to top Go down
MadisonJ

MadisonJ

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 3:40 pm

I'm in for 5 gallons for sure!!

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Michaeljeffreythomas

Michaeljeffreythomas

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 3:05 pm

I would like to do a group order does anyone else need to order?
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 1:24 pm

I've done this with Wyeast 2308 (Munich Lager) and Saflager. They were both good, but the Munich was maybe a little slow for something like this. I guess I would pick a yeast given your desired fermentation temperature.

I don't think we'll do a group order for this one, unless someone else wants to organize it. It's kind of a PITA. Haha!
Back to top Go down
Igraf

Igraf

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 1:17 pm

I will do a batch. What is your preferred yeast of the 6 listed?
Back to top Go down
Michaeljeffreythomas

Michaeljeffreythomas

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 12:57 pm

I am in are we doing a group order?
Back to top Go down
travis.posey.1291

travis.posey.1291

PostSubject: Why Not!!   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 11:27 am

Sign me up maybe this one will turn out okay for me Smile
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 11:16 am

Count me in for 5 gallons. Can't wait!
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 11:04 am

Remember, with barrel brews, you get out of them what you put into them. So, please make sure you have your full 5 gallons.

Also, regarding the yeast, the Baltic Porter has a deep malt flavor profile, with just a little dried fruit flavor. If you cannot control your temperatures in the range of the lager yeast, please go with a non lager yeast. Lager yeasts are great, but be sure to use a good sized starter to get the beer finished in time.

As with all barrel brews, your submission will be tasted before we add it to the barrel. If the beer is infected or has other issues, it may not be added.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. This is a fantastic recipe and one of my all time favorite beers. Some of you may remember, we brewed this as a club in 2011. It didn't stay on tap long.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 10:53 am

It's time to reserve your spot in the barrel for the Baltic Porter Brew. We'll start by holding 5 gallon spots. Please respond to this post if you are going to brew a batch for this barrel. Space is limited to the size of the barrel, so it's first come first serve. If we have extra room on July 29th, we'll allow for 10 gallon brews.

Important Dates:
Brew the beer between August 2-18
Put in secondary no later than September 8th
Barrel fill on September 24th

Recipe:
Amt          Name                                              
12 lbs        Pale Malt (Weyermann) (3.3 SRM)            
4 lbs          Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                              
10.0 oz      Briess Carmel Malt 20L (21.0 SRM)                
10.0 oz      Briess Carmel Malt 80L (81.0 SRM)            
8.0 oz        Roasted Barley (Briess) (300.0 SRM)            
8.0 oz        Smoked Malt (Cherry Wood) (5.0 SRM)          
4.0 oz        Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)                    
2.75 oz      Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min                  
0.75 oz      Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min              

Yeast Options:
-Non lagering conditions:
--Scottish Ale
--German Ale
--California Lager (below 68)

-Lagering:
--Salager S-23
--San Francisco Lager (below 65)
--Bohmemian Lager        

*Download the BeerSmith File: Masher Baltic Porter

40 Gallons Claimed
-Mike P
-TJ
-Mike T
-Ivan
-Jon M
-Adam
-Eric D
-Lance

Last edited by randi philleo on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:40 am; edited 9 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter   Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter Empty

Back to top Go down

Barrel Brew: Baltic Porter
Page 1 of 1