Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Starter for 1st lager

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dkwandt

dkwandt

Starter for 1st lager Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starter for 1st lager   Starter for 1st lager EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 12:34 am

thanks, you will most likely get good beer from a smaller starter, just really study your yeast. if you get too much fruity, or other esters than you increase your yeast, some off flavors come from stress to the yeast from low count some comes from temp. my lager should turn out fine. we4 will see. thankfully i am cleaning up and heading home now!
Back to top Go down
cctsurf

cctsurf

PostSubject: Re: Starter for 1st lager   Starter for 1st lager EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 11:57 pm

I'm starting to think that if I want to do a lager, I may well just buy a couple of yeast packets, It will certainly be cheaper than setting up for a ~5L starter (flask, etc.). If I decide to do a lot of lagers, I will invest, but that's not on my horizon right now...
I really want to thank you for your help tonight, I hope your American Lager turns out well, have fun with your new fermenter!
James
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: Starter for 1st lager   Starter for 1st lager EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 11:51 pm

because you could probably get a good beer from 2000ml. but jamil is a yeast nerd (why i use his calculator) he gives you the corect needs for the style. (i havent gone wrong following it.)
Back to top Go down
cctsurf

cctsurf

PostSubject: Re: Starter for 1st lager   Starter for 1st lager EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 11:39 pm

Just because I'm an electronics nerd, I was thinking about building a stir plate without moving parts, it would work like a permanent magnet stepper motor, and I should be able to drive it with a standard stepper motor circuit... like I said, I'm in the planning stages, my basement storage is getting close to lagering temps right now (the high end of the spectrum right now), so I'm hoping to get this from planning to execution some time soon.
I guess I'm curious why that website calculates 5L when as I posted originally, northern brewer says 2L should work without any stirring...
Thanks for your help!
James
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: Starter for 1st lager   Starter for 1st lager EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 11:30 pm

that would not be a problem, i am working on another one. jeff has a free fan her at the store, you would need a reostat and an ac dc adapter to make it work, you could have my spinner for the $20 i spent on the adapter (so i can buy a new one)
Back to top Go down
cctsurf

cctsurf

PostSubject: Re: Starter for 1st lager   Starter for 1st lager EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 11:20 pm

I'm in Ashley, so picking up stuff wouldn't work right now, besides which I'm still in the planning stages... Lagers do require a load of yeast! I didn't realize how much. I've never made a starter for any of my ales, it would seem that even with a stir plate, I will require a 5L starter...even more than that, a 5.28L starter if I only want to buy one yeast packet... I'm glad I asked, anything else I should know? If you can spare your stir plate for a couple of weeks (that's how often I get to Bismarck), I'd appreciate it, but I'd understand if you can't.
Thanks,
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: Starter for 1st lager   Starter for 1st lager EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 10:02 pm

correction, the amount i told you was for an ale not a lager.

for a lager you need about 443 billion cells.

simple starter 3 pack and a 2.98n liter starter

intermitant shacking 2 packs and 2.93 starter

stir plate 1 pack and a 4.72 liter starter.

lagers sure do take a shit load of yeast. i use http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html for my calculations
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: Starter for 1st lager   Starter for 1st lager EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 9:46 pm

regularly to me would be ever half hour to 60 min. by the way i did not realize i was logged in as the beer dealer, the last post was from me
Back to top Go down
Beer Dealer

Beer Dealer

PostSubject: Re: Starter for 1st lager   Starter for 1st lager EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 9:44 pm

you can borrow mine. i made it, norther brewers is the cheapest i have found at $39

i am at wwnh right now if you want to grab it from me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wwnh.net
cctsurf

cctsurf

PostSubject: Re: Starter for 1st lager   Starter for 1st lager EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 9:28 pm

how regularly is regularly? I'm looking at stir plates, and they're pretty expensive.
James
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: Starter for 1st lager   Starter for 1st lager EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 9:11 pm

you need approximate 222 billion cells
2.3 liquid packs
or 2.54 liter simple starter with 1 liquid pack (shake it regularly and you should only need 1.46 liter starter)

if you have a stir plate a 1 liter starter will be fine.
Back to top Go down
cctsurf

cctsurf

PostSubject: Starter for 1st lager   Starter for 1st lager EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 8:41 pm

I'm thinking about making my first lager, a bock, with an O.G of 1.064 (assuming that I have a halfway decent efficiency). The recipe states that I would need to make a yeast starter, something with which I am -very- unfamiliar.

Northern Brewer makes the following statement about their starter sizes:
CHOOSING A STARTER SIZE: A 1000ml starter is appropriate for a 5 gallon batch of ale of up to about 1.080 starting gravity, or a lager of up to about 1.060 starting gravity. A 2000ml starter is appropriate for a 5 gallon batch of ale of gravity over 1.080 or a lager up to 1.080.

So it would appear that I should jump right to a 2L starter, or it seems that a .5L starter system with a stirrer would suffice. Any Thoughts?
Thanks,
James
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starter for 1st lager   Starter for 1st lager Empty

Back to top Go down

Starter for 1st lager
Page 1 of 1