Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

I just started a AG batch at 5:45

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

I just started a AG batch at 5:45 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I just started a AG batch at 5:45   I just started a AG batch at 5:45 EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 10:50 pm

JuJu wrote:
I guess what i am trying to say is the mouth and body of many extract brews that i have done and many that I have tasted was lacking...Maybe the taste was there to start but didnt finish..since i started partial WOW it smelled ,,started. and finished......is that kinda what you mean?? later Jeff
I really do think that's a big part of it. Thing is, I don't want to disparage or discourage extract or partial mash brewers, because it's not my place or anyone else's. You've got to do whatever you're comfortable with and enjoy what you make regardless of the method. That said, though, I truly believe (in my opinion) that there is no substitute for all grain brewing, both in depth, flavor and quality of the beer. I feel that all grain wort, and even partial mash, produces a flavor profile that extracts just can't. Not necessarily because it's extract but because partial mash and all grain allow you to choose the individual component grains that make up your wort. This, of course, gives more control and more complexity in your recipes. Of course, that is just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Beer Dealer

Beer Dealer

PostSubject: Re: I just started a AG batch at 5:45   I just started a AG batch at 5:45 EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 10:15 pm

I guess what i am trying to say is the mouth and body of many extract brews that i have done and many that I have tasted was lacking...Maybe the taste was there to start but didnt finish..since i started partial WOW it smelled ,,started. and finished......is that kinda what you mean?? later Jeff
Back to top Go down
http://www.wwnh.net
Beer Dealer

Beer Dealer

PostSubject: Re: I just started a AG batch at 5:45   I just started a AG batch at 5:45 EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 10:10 pm

Thanks /// And since i do have pilsen grain on the way i do want to do this recipe with that and compare///

I really didnt think of taste difference of DME to the grain alternative..since my experiance is yet limited in this respect i will find out..with all the extract brews i have done i really was searching for that next taste...Jeff
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: I just started a AG batch at 5:45   I just started a AG batch at 5:45 EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 7:38 pm

JuJu wrote:
Mike i kinda get the feeling you think i shouldnt have put the DME in?? Since i am still experimenting . do you think it was bad idea and why?? thanks Jeff
I'm not saying you should or shouldn't have put in the DME. What I would say is that your grain bill seemed good enough on its own that it maybe wasn't necessary to add DME. The other thing is, which I'd say is more of a personal preference, is that there is a certain taste to any extract that doesn't always mesh the best with the taste of all grain wort. On the other hand, one of my favorite recipes had a few pounds of amber DME in it, though it was otherwise all grain. Incidentally, I later converted it entirely to all grain because my tastes had changed. However, if you feel your gravity isn't where you want it to be and you're at the boil, DME is a great alternative to Belgian candi sugar to raise your OG a few points.

Essentially, I was just curious if you had a certain intent with the recipe or a technique for which you used the DME. It's always, always good to experiment as a homebrewer, because it's the only way you'll find what suits your own taste the best. Thankfully, that's one of the basic freedoms we homebrewers get to enjoy over commercial brewers.
Back to top Go down
Beer Dealer

Beer Dealer

PostSubject: Re: I just started a AG batch at 5:45   I just started a AG batch at 5:45 EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 7:26 pm

Mike i kinda get the feeling you think i shouldnt have put the DME in?? Since i am still experimenting . do you think it was bad idea and why?? thanks Jeff
Back to top Go down
Beer Dealer

Beer Dealer

PostSubject: Re: I just started a AG batch at 5:45   I just started a AG batch at 5:45 EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 4:20 pm

well i wanted to have pilsen grain in there and the dry pilsen "is Pilsen" so i made the decision to for late 15 minute addition..i really was debating when I already hit my est. gravity without it ...but i just dunno....It is a little over the IBU's and abv for an American Amber ..Jeff
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: I just started a AG batch at 5:45   I just started a AG batch at 5:45 EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 3:31 pm

That looks like a tasty recipe, Jeff! If it's anything like the last batch (or better), I can't wait.

I do have a question, though. The grainbill looks nice and solid to me, but I saw you have one pound of light dry extract. Any reason why you included that in what appears to be a delicious-looking all grain recipe?
Back to top Go down
Beer Dealer

Beer Dealer

PostSubject: Re: I just started a AG batch at 5:45   I just started a AG batch at 5:45 EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 9:28 am

Ok i finished at 10:30 with clean up and ...WOW i hit 1.070 for gravity ,,i had my effeincy listed at 68 to get the 1.060...which i had before i added the Dry Pilsen...thats 80.63% efficency with batch sparge..Since this was first time with this cooler and Batch Sparging my tartget water of 169 degrees was to low for a UNheated cooler..{need to preheat}So i removed water and heated more... then after i put grain in it was a little high{should have let it sit for 5 minutes then checked} so i put some ice in then went to low///So jsut left at 150...then slow drain after hour and added 200degree water was 162 let sit for 20 minutes ..and drained slow..And the color was ugly brown while boiling but after adding the whilfloc tab and cooling it was beatifull amber...Need to use hop sock with this method as last gallon has all the hops and trub..when i use hop sack in prevoius batches only about a qt left..I used two yeast packs for the higher gravity...now next step is making starter to save money on two packs of yeast..cant wait for this one...
Back to top Go down
Beer Dealer

Beer Dealer

PostSubject: I just started a AG batch at 5:45   I just started a AG batch at 5:45 EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 6:02 pm

I think its a little late but what the heck ..I am brewing a Amarillo ale//I changed it from the last partial mash you guys tasted

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: Jeff Kohler
Boil Size: 7.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (32 Qt) and rectangle Cooler (12 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0Estimated Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 8.00 %
8.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 64.00 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
0.75 lb Caramel Malt - 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM) Grain 6.00 %
0.75 lb Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.00 %
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 33.9 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 13.0 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
2 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I just started a AG batch at 5:45   I just started a AG batch at 5:45 Empty

Back to top Go down

I just started a AG batch at 5:45
Page 1 of 1