Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

How do you convert a 5 gallon recipe to a 10 gallon recipe?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Michaeljeffreythomas

Michaeljeffreythomas

How do you convert a 5 gallon recipe to a 10 gallon recipe? Empty
PostSubject: 1st 10 gallon batch done!   How do you convert a 5 gallon recipe to a 10 gallon recipe? EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 9:40 am

I made my cream ale last night. I liked making 10 gallons it did not take that much longer than 5 gallons.
Back to top Go down
Michaeljeffreythomas

Michaeljeffreythomas

PostSubject: My first 10 gallon batch.   How do you convert a 5 gallon recipe to a 10 gallon recipe? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 8:41 am

Cream Ale

12 lbs - Pale Malt
6 lbs - Vienna Malt
2 lb - flaked corn
16.0 oz. - Honey Malt
2 oz. Cascades - 60 minutes
0.5 oz. Magnum - 60 Minutes
1 oz. Cascades - 10 Minutes
1 oz. Cascades - 5 Minutes

Batch Sparge
I might dry hop depends on what it tastes like after the first week of fermentation.

Split batch
1st Kolsch Yeast #2565
2nd American Ale #1056
Back to top Go down
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

PostSubject: Re: How do you convert a 5 gallon recipe to a 10 gallon recipe?   How do you convert a 5 gallon recipe to a 10 gallon recipe? EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 1:35 pm

A great book to help you out would be "Designing Great Beers". It gives you all the formulas you need to actually figure out your gravity, hop utilization rates, etc.... so when the power goes out, you'll still be able to formulate a recipe Smile

It also gives you style guidelines and parameters of ingredients from award winning beers, to give you an idea of what's going on.

Would be happy to share the formulas with you if you like, and the book for that matter.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Igraf

Igraf

PostSubject: Re: How do you convert a 5 gallon recipe to a 10 gallon recipe?   How do you convert a 5 gallon recipe to a 10 gallon recipe? EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 10:31 pm

Enter in your recipie as in your iBrewMaster program on your iPad and once it is entered in you can click on the scale iconn up on the top that resembles the scales of justice. There you can adjust your batch size +/-.

I have been looking at this recipie for my bmc drinking co-workers and friends.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/cream-three-crops-cream-ale-66503/

Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: How do you convert a 5 gallon recipe to a 10 gallon recipe?   How do you convert a 5 gallon recipe to a 10 gallon recipe? EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 10:54 am

The easiest way to convert a 5 gallon recipe to a 10 gallon one is to enter the recipe into a brewing program that has a "scale recipe" option, like Beersmith for example. Though it converts everything numerically based on your system, I've found that the recipe may need additional tweaking to get it where you want it.

If that's not possible, what I've done, with some success, is enter the existing recipe into the brewing program of choice, and set the parameters for a 10 gallon batch. You would then want to adjust the ingredients quantity to meet your original 5 gallon recipe's numbers for OG, SRM, IBUs, etc. Though it's time consuming, that's probably the simplest way to do it on a program that has no scaling function. Just remember to account for greater loss due to water absorption by the grain and other forms of loss. Again, you may need to tweak the recipe as necessary if the results aren't what you expected.

Others may have a more scientific approach, but that's my $0.02 based on my experience.
Back to top Go down
Michaeljeffreythomas

Michaeljeffreythomas

PostSubject: How do you convert a 5 gallon recipe to a 10 gallon recipe?   How do you convert a 5 gallon recipe to a 10 gallon recipe? EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 10:42 am

Like this cream Ale from Midwest

7lbs 2row
2 lbs flaked corn
8oz carapils

2 oz cascade total
1oz@60 1oz@2min
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you convert a 5 gallon recipe to a 10 gallon recipe?   How do you convert a 5 gallon recipe to a 10 gallon recipe? Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1