Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

i finally did it!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

i finally did it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: i finally did it!   i finally did it! EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 9:40 am

Congrats on getting Batch 1 in the books. Looking forward to seeing you at the meeting tonight! Cheers
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

i finally did it! Empty
PostSubject: thanks much   i finally did it! EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 8:05 am

i plan on being there tonight
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

i finally did it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: i finally did it!   i finally did it! EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 5:53 pm

Congrats on completing your brew! An amber is a great style to start with, for sure.

As far as terminology goes, I can bring in a hydrometer on Tuesday/tomorrow and we'll be happy to explain the principal of it for you. It's best illustrated visually, I think. Alpha acid is one of the primary methods of measuring the bittering quality of hops, though there's also Beta acid as well. I'm sure I can dig up one of my brewing books to lend you. Things get a lot easier once you get over the first hump of getting all the terminology straight.
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

i finally did it! Empty
PostSubject: i finally did it!   i finally did it! EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 8:43 am

Finally, i brew the amber kit i had mentioned earlier! i was like a kid, brewing it up, the only thing i did different from the directions was to hydrate the yeast (as suggested by Mike i think). my wife did not find the smell offensive, as some suggested she might! she thought it smelled good she preferred the smell of the cascade hops over the Kent Golding's though. i stuck it in the closet at about 5:00 pm last night, i hope it will be bubbling away sometime tonight, haven't noticed anything yet.

if interested, their was about 1/2 lbs of grains, a 6lbs bag of malt syrup, Nottingham yeast (one packet), bittering hops cooked for a total of 60 min, were Kent Golding's pellet hops (alpha acid 4.9%, 1oz) the finishing hops were cooked only the last 5 min, were cascade pellet hops (alpha acid 7.5%, 1 oz.)

the closet seems to be maintaining about 68 degrees. i am stoked i just pray it turns out well! color was great, smeld awesome.

ps. i must admit, i need a idiot's guide to the terminology used in beer making. i need to understand the hydrometer a bit more, or i would have given those numbers (i wrote down all 3 that were on my hydrometer). i have no idea as of yet what alpha acid is, and why i used a lower acid for a longer time than i did the finishing. at this point i am just trusting those who put the kit together, but i really need to learn more on this stuff if i want to make my own personal brew! all help is appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

i finally did it! Empty
PostSubject: Re: i finally did it!   i finally did it! Empty

Back to top Go down

i finally did it!
Page 1 of 1