Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Ben Franklin beer. Saw this on Midwest I might try it.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Michaeljeffreythomas

Michaeljeffreythomas

Ben Franklin beer.  Saw this on Midwest I might try it. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ben Franklin beer. Saw this on Midwest I might try it.   Ben Franklin beer.  Saw this on Midwest I might try it. EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Can wait to try them. I will be there for sure
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Ben Franklin beer. Saw this on Midwest I might try it.   Ben Franklin beer.  Saw this on Midwest I might try it. EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 6:46 pm

That sounds pretty intersting. I'd love to try it

I brewed two beers this week that I'm hoping to have on tap for the club brew at my place next week. I did an IPA that has amarillo, centennial, citra, galaxy, and simcoe hops. I can't wait for that one.

After a lot of bitching by my friends that don't like good beer and wanted me to brew something on the lighter side that they could drink, so I made a light and mellow cream ale. I'm kind of curious as to how this one is going to turn out as well.
Back to top Go down
http://edelzer@hotmail.com
Michaeljeffreythomas

Michaeljeffreythomas

PostSubject: Ben Franklin beer. Saw this on Midwest I might try it.   Ben Franklin beer.  Saw this on Midwest I might try it. EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 4:56 pm

Brew Like Ben

It's one of the quotes most often associated with beer: "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." But did Benjamin Franklin actually say it? For the record, here, in a letter addressed to André Morellet in 1779, is what Benjamin Franklin actually did say:

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy."
(Source: Isaacson, Walter. Benjamin Franklin: An American Life. New York: Simon and Schuster, 2003. p.374.)

Okay, so Mr. Franklin enjoyed his wine. Is it completely out of the question that he may have at some point made a similar observation regarding beer? This may be debatable, but it is a generally accepted fact that Ben did, in fact, brew beer. So in honor of his 306th birthday, we encourage you to "Brew Like Ben". We've put some of our best all-grain equipment on sale, so it's a great time to take your brew to the next level. To get you started, here's a recipe shared by Tony Simmons, who brewed the winner in the Poor Richard's Ale contest, held at 2005's Great American Beer Festival in Denver, Colorado.

Poor Richard’s Ale
By Tony Simmons
Brick Oven Brewing

OG: 1.068 (suggested range = 1.060 – 1.086)
FG: 1.018 (suggested range = 1.014 – 1.030)
IBU: 27 (suggested range = 25 – 35)
SRM: 17 (suggested range = 12 – 25)
BU/GU Ratio: 0.39 (Strong Scotch Ale = 0.41 from AOB Style Guidelines & Daniels)

Ingredients for 5-gallons all-grain: (Assuming 63% efficiency)
8.5 lbs. Maris Otter
2.75 lbs. Flaked Corn
1.75 lbs. Biscuit Malt
1 lb. Special Roast
2 oz. Black Patent
4 oz. Medium or Dark Molasses (available at any grocery store) 15 minutes from end of boil

Mash: 154 F for 45 min or until complete conversion

Hop schedule:

Whole Flower Kent Goldings (5.0% AA)

0.50 oz. - 60 min
0.75 oz. - 45 min
0.50 oz. - 30 min
Boil: 90 minutes

Yeast: White Labs Edinburgh Ale Yeast –OR– Wyeast Scottish Ale

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ben Franklin beer. Saw this on Midwest I might try it.   Ben Franklin beer.  Saw this on Midwest I might try it. Empty

Back to top Go down

Ben Franklin beer. Saw this on Midwest I might try it.
Page 1 of 1