Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Yeast Experiment WY1275 vs WLP023

Go down 
AuthorMessage
permo

permo

Yeast Experiment WY1275 vs WLP023 Empty
PostSubject: Yeast Experiment WY1275 vs WLP023   Yeast Experiment WY1275 vs WLP023 EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 11:15 pm

Allegedly these are the same strains of yeast (burton). So I decided to find out. Same wort, same fermentation temperature. A 10 gallon batch of a simple pale ale:

19 pounds pale malt
6 ounces C80
.50 ounce columbus at 60
1 oz liberty at 30
.50 oz chinook at 30
1 oz liberty at 2
.50 oz chinook at 2
1 oz columbia dry hop (not columbus)
mashed at 154 for 60
pitched at 60 degrees
fermented at 68 degrees
OG = 1.052
FG = 1.010 for the 1275
FG = 1.012 for the WLP023

I split between two five gallon fermenters and pitched two starters that were made of the same starter wort and of the same volume. One got a vial of 023 and one got a pack of 1275.

The verdict. The yeasts are clearly different. The 023 blew out a ton of yeast and foam while the 1275 was more subdued.

Flavor wise the 1275 is clean, neutral with only a mild fruitiness and yielded a lighter bodied, almost lifeless from a malt perspective ale. Accentuated the finishing hops better.

The 023 is amazing. A clearly noticable bready, biscuity malt flavor with firm fruitiness in the nose and on the pallete. Makes a fantastically complex ale from a simple recipe. The consensus from the folks who regularly drink my beer is that this was one of the best I have produced. I agree

Neither yeasted floculatted particularly well and needed to some cold crashing to clear out.

I will keep both yeasts on hand. I am thinking 1275 on a big barley wine and 023 for all kinds of ales, particularly IPA..fruity hops, fruity yeast...mmm..mmm. If anybody needs any, i have 7 washed samples of each...

Back to top Go down

Yeast Experiment WY1275 vs WLP023
Page 1 of 1