Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

More Brewing Supplies?

Go down 
+2
mike frohlich
Beer Dealer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

More Brewing Supplies? Empty
PostSubject: Re: More Brewing Supplies?   More Brewing Supplies? EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 8:28 pm

The unfortunate truth of it is that while it's nice to have the few things Vintners does offer, there never seems to be any expansion or growth for the brewing supplies. Wine is what they do, and they seem to be doing it well.

In the past few months I've received many contacts through the clubs social networks and website regarding local supply stores. There is a supply store in Fargo called the Country Cannery that is under reconstruction both on location and on the web. They are very nice and very helpful. The Fargo Brew Club is a big supporter of the Country Cannery, they even hold their meetings there. Other than that, I believe Grand Forks has a Vintners Cellar. Last I hear Minot's supply store had closed down, but the one time I was in there it was more wine and shirt oriented than brewing.

I'd be really thrilled to see this come in locally. The supplies are scarce across the state, but the brewers are not.

Keep us posted on any developments with this Jeff!
Back to top Go down
http://www.muddyrivermashers.com
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: More Brewing Supplies?   More Brewing Supplies? EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 7:41 pm

I hate to pile on, but there's no truly diplomatic way to say that Allan's not been the best steward of the traffic the club's provided him. Obviously, he's busy and doesn't have the time or energy to focus on expanding his selection, much less maintaining his existing storefront.

That said, Jeff, I'm actually off tomorrow on a personal day (been a long few months!) and would be willing to donate some of my time to help you evaluate what initial inventory to order in expanding your business. It's really encouraging to hear that people you're talking to have responded positively to you stocking brew supplies. Not only does it indicate you're onto something with your enterprise, but it also proves there's an interest in quality beer/home brewing. Feel free to give me a call at number I sent you - I look forward to helping you get started!
Back to top Go down
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

PostSubject: Re: More Brewing Supplies?   More Brewing Supplies? EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 4:49 pm

All need to bring is a little something to share. Its not mandatory, but definitely well received. Can be yours or something commercial. Look forward to seeing you on Tuesday.
Back to top Go down
Beer Dealer

Beer Dealer

PostSubject: Re: More Brewing Supplies?   More Brewing Supplies? EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 4:36 pm

Well I am really excited about getting this going..I have been self employed my whole life..before being in Radio controlled hobbies i was a home builder for 30 years and was president of our local builders association and many other things...then this store with hobbies..and i have like 5000 pegs to keep track of..and i was getting burnt or a little tired going to work every day except last sunday of the month but i like it..This will get me some new faces and freinds and every now and then we all need that..even more when you mid 50's..Anyway nuff of me rambling..I will be at the next meeting on Tuesday and am i suppose to bring anything like BEER...of what? I do have one that is 2 weeks in cold storage and another 22 gallons in various stages..see ya all then..Jeff
Back to top Go down
http://www.wwnh.net
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

PostSubject: Re: More Brewing Supplies?   More Brewing Supplies? EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 12:06 pm

I would agree with Tyler. His customer service skills are quite lacking. Every time I've gone in there, he always seems grumpy about something.
Back to top Go down
Tyler

Tyler

PostSubject: Re: More Brewing Supplies?   More Brewing Supplies? EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 11:33 am

If I might add to this a little:

I imagine you will take all of Vintner's customers. He doesn't store his product properly, his prices are a little high for some things, he doesn't have a lot of the things I would like him to have, and he's been a dick to me every time I've been in his store.

I've gone in his store a number of times and each time it seems like he prefers I not be there. Last week I stopped in the store, he scowled at me and said "what do you want?" I said something about checking out his new location and looking at his stock of beer supplies. He didn't say anything, just pointed at his small selection of grain and improperly stored extract, yeast, and hops. Don't get me started on the other employees, either. I'll just relay this comment (delivered in a quite condescending manner) from one of them:"I don't do beer."

That's not how you get customers to come back. I'll drive 100 miles before I buy from him.

I've always been a proponent for "buy local" as long as the service is good and, unless your prices are prohibitively high, you'll get my business.
Back to top Go down
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

PostSubject: Re: More Brewing Supplies?   More Brewing Supplies? EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 10:43 pm

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. My computer died at home. I will be in touch.
Back to top Go down
Beer Dealer

Beer Dealer

PostSubject: Re: More Brewing Supplies?   More Brewing Supplies? EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 10:14 pm

I hope to have my first catalogs Thursday..After telling a few more in my store about brewing the response is very good..Seems theres more that would if you put it in front of them..Now just need to get that area done for the inventory and an order made..Time , time time..sometimes its hard to come by..Jefff
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: More Brewing Supplies?   More Brewing Supplies? EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 12:20 am

I routinely buy from local brew supply shops even at a higher price. I do it to support the local economy, and local business owners. I don't think I'm alone in this regard. There is a lot to be said for a local contact that knows your name, and can make recommendations for you.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: More Brewing Supplies?   More Brewing Supplies? EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 9:20 pm

I agree with Mike and Mike. They make good points on both sides of the argument. I think that even if you could be remotely competitive you would probably do well. It would be nice to have more local suppliers. Vintners doesn't really have much of a selection or room to house it. Fargo, Minot, and Dickinson have homebrew shops that I think all do pretty decent.
Back to top Go down
http://edelzer@hotmail.com
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: More Brewing Supplies?   More Brewing Supplies? EmptyThu Feb 18, 2010 9:30 am

I'm in the same boat as Mike. Variety and local competition is never a bad thing. While I am grateful for Allan's efforts to provide homebrewing supplies, it never hurts to have an alternative. Not only that, it's important to have a homebrew supply shop run by someone who both understands and appreciates the intracacies and necessities of brewing beer.

That said, I've always thought a dedicated homebrew supply shop would be great to have here. I like to think there's a sort of homebrew renaissance going on in Bismarck, whereas prior establishments didn't do so well, one would thrive here now. If you have any further questions on how to approach this or need any other help, feel free to ask, I know I'd be willing to do what I can to assist with this coming to fruition.
Back to top Go down
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

PostSubject: Re: More Brewing Supplies?   More Brewing Supplies? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 1:37 pm

I think being able to buy supplies here would be great. Currently I purchase most of my stuff through Midwest. They give you a 5% discount if you are an AHA member, and their grain prices are the best around. Vintner's carries a few things, but his grain inventory is a little off the wall, and the prices are a bit high. I would love to be able to buy my 50lb 2-row bags in town vs the $15 shipping. Just my 2 cents. I am sure the club members would love another place to find equipment.

You do have a point though about the web stores out there. I look to Midwest and occasionally Morebeer (who offers free shipping if you order $50 or more). Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Beer Dealer

Beer Dealer

PostSubject: More Brewing Supplies?   More Brewing Supplies? EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 12:33 pm

Would there be an interest in more local brewing supplies? I own a Retail hobby store now and this would fit in great if there would be an interest. Pricing would be competitive as I can as I now have to compete with internet sales also. I thought with Blarneys and the new nano and micro brewery’s coming public interest and demand for the product would be there. I am torn thou as i know the big online shops buy huge quantities and pricing I’m sure matches,. The thing is I don’t need to make this my main profit point as I already sell the other hobby items ...I already have applied for and received dealer status with a couple companies and my dealer packs and pricing will be here next week. There’s a couple more I just submitted. Now it’s just a matter of decision. I know I don’t know any of you but Any feed back would be appreciated..Jeff
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More Brewing Supplies?   More Brewing Supplies? Empty

Back to top Go down

More Brewing Supplies?
Page 1 of 1