Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Kegging Oktoberfest

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Lonn Iverson

Kegging Oktoberfest Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kegging Oktoberfest   Kegging Oktoberfest EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 4:21 pm

Same time as last time will work for me
Back to top Go down
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

PostSubject: Re: Kegging Oktoberfest   Kegging Oktoberfest EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 9:00 am

I do plan on stopping by. What time Thursday works for you? It definitely was an all afternoon affair. My filter is a plate filter: http://morebeer.com/view_product/5759//Beer_and_Wine_Plate_Filter_Kit_. It uses paper filter pads. Beer goes into the middle of the plate filter, gets forced through the paper filter by CO2, then into the kegs. You have to have 2 corny kegs for this to work. One to have unfiltered beer pushed by the CO2, and the other to receive the filtered product. Works pretty slick. The filters come in 3 different levels: rough, polish, and finish. Everything is rough filter as of now, except for the IPA, which I mistakenly grabbed a polish set of filters. It is cleaner, but took and extremely long time to filter, and got stuck at the very end. Didn't lose more than a 1/2 of pint though. I'll do my best to save some IPA for you. I am going to cut back on the crystal malt and bump up the 2-row to get a lighter color, but otherwise, it turned out pretty decent. I need to try it once its carbonated better.
Back to top Go down
Lonn Iverson

PostSubject: Re: Kegging Oktoberfest   Kegging Oktoberfest EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 6:17 am

Sounds like you guys were pretty busy. Hopefully you will hvae some IPA left I would like to try some of that. How does that filter work? Are you stil planning in swinging by on thursday?
Back to top Go down
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

PostSubject: Re: Kegging Oktoberfest   Kegging Oktoberfest EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 11:02 pm

It went pretty well. The new plate filter works like a charm. Mike Wilson was over, as well as Mike Philleo. We filtered the 10 gal of Oktoberfest, 5 gal of Mike P's Red, and I filtered my Flipswitch IPA and Black Shox Porter that morning. Everything is carbonating as we speak. We also decided to brew an EPA just in case we wanted a lighter beer. I call it 10/10 Pale Ale, since it was brewed on the 10th of October. It will be pushing it to have it ready by Saturday. 1 week, not sure if it can be done. It will be a lighter style with around 34 IBUs from Cascades and Saaz hops. Pretty light gravity with a ABV% of 4.5. It's bubbling away very nicely. I'm hoping it finishes by Wednesday, so I can filter and keg it, leaving 3 days for carbonation. Keep your fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
Lonn Iverson

PostSubject: Re: Kegging Oktoberfest   Kegging Oktoberfest EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 6:40 pm

Wish I would have read this earlier I would have helped you
Back to top Go down
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

PostSubject: Kegging Oktoberfest   Kegging Oktoberfest EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 9:22 am

Is anyone interested in kegging the Oktoberfest this weekend, or watching the process?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kegging Oktoberfest   Kegging Oktoberfest Empty

Back to top Go down

Kegging Oktoberfest
Page 1 of 1