Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

no fermenting action

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JaymeG

JaymeG

no fermenting action Empty
PostSubject: Re: no fermenting action   no fermenting action EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 9:17 am

hmmmmm.... interesting. If I use Notingham again maybe I'll do that.
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: no fermenting action   no fermenting action EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 9:12 am

it had never been that slow for me when i used it the first couple times. i didn't hydrate with that high a temp though either.

Back to top Go down
JaymeG

JaymeG

PostSubject: Re: no fermenting action   no fermenting action EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 9:06 am

well what I read was to hydrate the yeast in 4 oz of 80 - 90 degree water for about 15 min & then add a little wort to the hydration slowly to keep it from shocking them. I did all of that to what the directions said.

Just an update....
I went downstairs to check it out & the airlock is bubbling! cheers Yippee! I guess it really is a slow working yeast! (I just didn't think it would be that slow) So I must have done something right. I guess I'll wait it out & see what happens!
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: no fermenting action   no fermenting action EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 8:20 am

i know notigham says not to hydrate it, do it anyway in the future. 80 degrees seems a bit high to me! i am sure others know better, but i think you should try to get your temp down into the 70's before pitching. i am sure it is specific to each yeast just really getting into that though. tyler, jeff, randi or the Mikes could probably help better at this point.

like tyler i failed to get the lid on good once the beer still fermented and tasted great! after 4 days no bubles i checked it was working, and as soon as i sealed the lid, about 15 min and bubbles began.

for the record i would repitch!
Back to top Go down
JaymeG

JaymeG

PostSubject: Re: no fermenting action   no fermenting action EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 7:36 am

I was right at about 80 degrees. Since the yeast directions said to wake them up in 80 - 90 degree water I figured i should have the wort about the same so I don't shock them little buggers
Back to top Go down
Beer Dealer

Beer Dealer

PostSubject: Re: no fermenting action   no fermenting action EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 10:10 pm

do you know the temp of the wort when pitched? just wondering..jeff
Back to top Go down
http://www.wwnh.net
JaymeG

JaymeG

PostSubject: Re: no fermenting action   no fermenting action EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 10:08 am

I never checked it w/ a hydrometer but I took a look inside & there wasn't anything stuck on the sides or anything. Thanks for the info, I'll check it with a hydrometer & if it's still high gravity & if so then, I'll throw in some S-04. cheers
Back to top Go down
Tyler

Tyler

PostSubject: Re: no fermenting action   no fermenting action EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 9:50 am

Are you 100% sure that it didn't ferment? I had a batch that I thought just didn't ferment. I watched the airlock over the course of 5-ish days and didn't see a single bubble. I went to take my lid off my plastic fermenter and the lid came off really easily. I checked the gravity and, sure enough, the gravity was fairly low and almost to my projected finishing gravity. I realized that I just didn't have the lid down all the way so the CO2 went out the unsealed lid instead of the airlock.

I left it in in the fermentor a week to let it finish up fermenting and bottled it shortly thereafter. It was tasty as hell if I remember correctly.

I'd suggest checking the gravity to see if it didn't ferment or you just didn't see the signs of it fermenting. If it's still completely unfermented you could rehydrate a package of S-04 and throw it in.
Back to top Go down
JaymeG

JaymeG

PostSubject: no fermenting action   no fermenting action EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 8:33 am

I made an ale on the 19th. I used Nottingham for the 1st time. I thought I followed the yeast directions correctly but there is still no fementing happening. My OG was @ 1.054 which I think should be fine. What shud I do? pitch another pack? Question maybe just pitch some S-04? I know Nottingham can be a little slow but also been reading that there are a lot of dead packs as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: no fermenting action   no fermenting action Empty

Back to top Go down

no fermenting action
Page 1 of 1