Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Weekend brew session

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

Weekend brew session Empty
PostSubject: Re: Weekend brew session   Weekend brew session EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 7:25 pm

Coffee porter? Our ears are burning over here in Lincoln.

We got Randi's coffee porter brewed and judging by the wort, it should be quite nice. We used the recirculating mash and temperature controller on the system to do a step mash starting with the protein rest at 133° F for a half hour. Then we slowly stepped it up to 158° F for maximum mouthfeel. I'd have to pull out the recipe for more specifics, but this one has just enough IBUs to balance the malt and was finished with lactose and 16 ounces of fresh coffee concentrate. No Belgian candi sugar this time, folks. Right now the hybrid London III ale yeast and Belgian Trappist High Gravity are eating up the fermentables and producing what we hope to be a tasty end result.

The downer was the part where I was up until 10:30 Sunday night cleaning up my area. But with brewing comes great responsibility and all that good stuff.
Back to top Go down
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

Weekend brew session Empty
PostSubject: Weekend brew session   Weekend brew session EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 10:30 am

Got through another brew session. Late nighter, but 10 gals of a tasty amber ale should be ready in 2 weeks. Efficiency is going through the roof on my last few beers....glad I backed of my original idea and calculated my recipe at 80% efficiency. Turns out I got 84%. Should be a wonderful session style amber ale with 57 IBUs and an O.G. of 1.061. Columbus, Cascade, Centennial and Amarillo hops make this beer what it is. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Trying out 2 differents yeasts on it. One with 1056 and the other with 1272.

I let you know how it turns out. I here someone brewed a coffee porter over the weekend? Cheers!
Back to top Go down

Weekend brew session
Page 1 of 1