Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

1007 germen ale wyeast

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
dkwandt

dkwandt

1007 germen ale wyeast  Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1007 germen ale wyeast    1007 germen ale wyeast  EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 11:34 am

well, that is a good question, 06 wheat I guess would be preferred.

05 was originally and English yeast that got it US name because Sierra Nevada started using it, but I would say i get more of an English clean fermentation from it. and it is a med flocculating yeast. so you "may" get a bit of the wheat cloudy but not really likely. did a quick search just now, on dry yeasts for wheat beers, there were a few that sang the 05 praise for an american wheat.

04 should give you more of a clean fermentation with a touch of fruity, as it is a true English yeast. but it tends to flocculate like crazy and doubt you would get much cloudy from it.

I would consider Nottingham (Danstar) over 04 but that is just my preference, not sure i have a great reason other than I liked the beers I have used it in, and so I did not change the yeast I used. in my opinion it is very clean, and lets the grain do the talking, it does flocculate like crazy so I has been accused of removing some hop bitterness.

Danstar does make a Munich wheat, I have heard good things about it, however I have not used it. it is a German strain and may be the overall preferred dry yeast for the wheat.
Back to top Go down
lwald

lwald

PostSubject: Re: 1007 germen ale wyeast    1007 germen ale wyeast  EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 10:46 am

One more thing is it ok for the wort to be in the fermentor for 3 to 4 days with out any fermenting.
Back to top Go down
lwald

lwald

PostSubject: Re: 1007 germen ale wyeast    1007 germen ale wyeast  EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 10:43 am

The yeast date was good it was not sweled and I got it at Weels wings but I don't know how it was taken care of befor that. I'm keeping it at 66f to get I fermenting then all move it to 63f what kind it yeast should I use problem a wheat one or will so4 or so5 be ok for a wheat.
I'm going to give it a day or two it might take longer then I think. The air lock it topped so I know no oxygen is getting to it. Thank for all the help. (Brew for all) (all for brew)
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: 1007 germen ale wyeast    1007 germen ale wyeast  EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 10:25 am

I would give it another day 2 max then repitch if still nothing. if I remember that yeast correctly it is a true top cropper, I get like 3-4" krausen typically.

was the yeast shipped?(who knows how it was treated, could have frozen, or somehow got above 90 and killed it, or some other crazy temp swing) what was the date on it? smack pack right, was it swollen when you pitched? you did not pitch it at too high a temp did you? it likes the cooler temps (low to mid 60's) but all yeast should kick up in the high 60's you could try bringing the temp up until it starts as well.

if all else fails repitch.

shaking should not have delayed its start at all.

sorry i can't be of more assistance.
Back to top Go down
lwald

lwald

PostSubject: Re: 1007 germen ale wyeast    1007 germen ale wyeast  EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 9:58 am

Useing a Carboy and shook the crap out of it and had the wort splashing in the fermentor then pitch my yeast Still nouthing this morning
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: 1007 germen ale wyeast    1007 germen ale wyeast  EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 9:45 am

how much oxygen did you give it? or did you just shake it? are you using a bucket? If so check the seal.

1007 is a good yeast and seems to tolerate even some abuse (you should get a good krausen), but will add a fruity note as you push the 68 degree mark. I really have to cold crash this yeast as well, it really wants to stay in suspension. Don’t quote me but I think they label it as a low flocculation yeast which explains why it stays in suspension.
Back to top Go down
lwald

lwald

PostSubject: 1007 germen ale wyeast    1007 germen ale wyeast  EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 9:58 pm

I just made a american wheat with germen ale yeast.
Has anyone used this one. How was it and did it take a long to start working.
Mine has been in there for about 36hr @ 64>65f and the yeast is good from 55>70f.
Or im I just warrying for no reson and just what.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1007 germen ale wyeast    1007 germen ale wyeast  Empty

Back to top Go down

1007 germen ale wyeast
Page 1 of 1