Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Big Brew Day - May 5th!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dkwandt

dkwandt

Big Brew Day - May 5th! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Brew Day - May 5th!   Big Brew Day - May 5th! EmptyThu May 10, 2012 12:45 pm

the owner is very friendly to the local brewers, and allows a few to use the back shop for brewing!
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Big Brew Day - May 5th!   Big Brew Day - May 5th! EmptyTue May 08, 2012 1:46 pm

For those who are curious, the clone that Dennis is referring to is Delirium Tremens (a great beer if I say so myself). Pretty cool that they were brewing over at Monk's! Sounds like the have the whole "beer cycle of life" going on, heh.
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: Big Brew Day - May 5th!   Big Brew Day - May 5th! EmptyTue May 08, 2012 1:29 pm

well i did get to brew in souix falls which was nice! went to my favorite place (monk's) and two guys were brewing in the back, and allowed me to joine them! i can not remember the name of the clone they were brewing, (maybe mike p. remembers i seem to have deleted it off my phone already) it was a nice belgian blonde to gold, the used styrien goldings and another hop can't remeber (i may have had 2 or 6 beers) below is the pic of the brew.

i hear the brew day went well hear! i was happy to learn that!

Big Brew Day - May 5th! Sf_bre10
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: Big Brew Day - May 5th!   Big Brew Day - May 5th! EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 10:58 am

Big Brew Day is coming up next weekend! I've only got 2 brewers signed up to brew, one extract and one all-grain. Is anyone else going to be bringing their system?
Back to top Go down
http://www.muddyrivermashers.com
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: Big Brew Day - May 5th!   Big Brew Day - May 5th! EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 4:37 pm

That's a great idea!

Anyone planning on brewing at the Masher site, please fill out the Big Brew Day Registration Form. It'll help us time things, market the event, and hopefully have some prizes for those who do the demos.

Thanks!

Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: Big Brew Day - May 5th!   Big Brew Day - May 5th! EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 2:44 pm

i will be at guard drill, however i am going to try to brew with a few buddies down there! either an amber or maybe an ipa
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Big Brew Day - May 5th!   Big Brew Day - May 5th! EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 9:05 am

Sounds good, Ivan. We look forward to seeing you there. The more, the merrier!

Like Randi said, I'm thinking of trying to push out a "baby Wit," something at about 3.5-4% that we can have on tap during the Big Brew Day event. Here's to hoping I can get it ready in 3 weeks. *fingers crossed*
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: Big Brew Day - May 5th!   Big Brew Day - May 5th! EmptyTue Apr 10, 2012 8:58 am

Great!

Yes, if you want to bring brews to share that'd be awesome! We might do a batch of pale or wit, something quick to have on tap and the event.
Back to top Go down
Igraf

Igraf

PostSubject: Re: Big Brew Day - May 5th!   Big Brew Day - May 5th! EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 10:48 pm

I dont have my recipe handy but i will be going an extract brew with steeped grains. Pretty simple but i also plan on having some of the beers from my first batch of this that i made with for sampling. For being simple it tastes great and is easy to make, hopefully the kind of thing that gets people intested in brewing their own and get them into the addicition known as homebrewing
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: Big Brew Day - May 5th!   Big Brew Day - May 5th! EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 3:43 pm

That looks good Mike!

There will be goodies and a chance to win a gift certificate for more supplies for anyone that brings out their system!
Back to top Go down
Michaeljeffreythomas

Michaeljeffreythomas

PostSubject: or   Big Brew Day - May 5th! EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 3:42 pm

Ardley Brown Ale - Extract
Ardley Brown Ale – Extract
Northern English Brown Ale

Recipe for 5.25 gallons (19.8 liters)

6.5 lb pale malt extract syrup (2.95 kg)

7 oz 80˚ L Cara Munich malt (198 g)

3 oz chocolate malt (85 g)

2 oz roast barley (57 g)

1.25 oz E.K. Golding whole hops, 4.7% a.a. (28 g) (60 min)

0.75 oz Fuggles pellet hops, 5.7% a.a. (21 g) (15 min)

2 oz E.K. Golding pellet hops, 4.7% a.a. (57 g) (knockout)

1 tablet Whirlfloc or 0.75 tsp (3 g) Irish moss (15 min)

2 pkgs Danstar Nottingham ale yeast

Brewers Specifics

Steep grains in 2.5 gallons (11.4 L) of water at 160-170 °F (71-77 °C) for 30 minutes. While removing grains, rinse with 0.5 gallon of hot water, then add extract, dissolving completely. Bring to a boil. Add hops at specified intervals from end of boil. Chill wort, remove hops and transfer to sanitized fermenter. Add 2-3 gallons (7.6-11.4 L) of pre-boiled and chilled water for a total volume of 5.25 gallons (19.8 L). Pitch the yeast when wort reaches 67 °F (19 °C). Secure air lock or blow-off tube. Ferment at 67 ⁰F (19 ⁰C). Keg at 2.4 volumes of CO₂ or bottle carbonate with 3.7 oz (105 g) corn sugar.

Boil Time: 60 min

Original Gravity: 1.049
Final Gravity: 1.012

SRM: 16.3
IBU: 24.9

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75%
Back to top Go down
Michaeljeffreythomas

Michaeljeffreythomas

PostSubject: Here is what I am going to do.   Big Brew Day - May 5th! EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 3:32 pm

Here is what I am going to do. http://wiki.americanhomebrewers.org/BigBrew2012

Ardley Brown Ale - All Grain
Ardley Brown Ale – All Grain
Northern English Brown Ale

Recipe for 5.25 gallons (19.8 liters)

4.75 lbs Maris Otter pale malt (2.15 kg)

2.8 lbs Munich I malt (1.28 kg)

1.2 lbs amber malt (539 g)

5 oz wheat malt (142 g)

2.5 oz chocolate malt (71 g)

1.5 oz roast barley (43 g)

1 oz E.K. Golding whole hops, 4.7% a.a. (28 g) (60 min)

0.75 oz Fuggles pellet hops, 5.7% a.a. (21 g) (15 min)

2 oz E.K. Golding pellet hops, 4.7% a.a. (57 g) (knockout)

1 tablet Whirlfloc or 0.75 tsp (3 g) Irish moss (15 min)

2 pkgs Danstar Nottingham ale yeast

Brewers Specifics

Mash grains at 150˚ F (65˚ C) for 1 hour. Sparge at 168˚ F (76˚ C). Bring to a boil. Add hops at specified intervals from end of boil. Chill to 67 °F (19 °C) and pitch yeast. Secure air lock or blow-off tube. Ferment at 67 ⁰F (19 ⁰C). Keg at 2.4 volumes of CO₂ or bottle carbonate with 3.7 oz (105 g) corn sugar.

Boil Time: 60 min

Original Gravity: 1.049
Final Gravity: 1.012

SRM: 16.2
IBU: 24.9

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75%
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Big Brew Day - May 5th!   Big Brew Day - May 5th! EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 11:35 am

Hahah, that's true. I hear it makes for good beer, too. Beats that non-potable stuff.
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: Big Brew Day - May 5th!   Big Brew Day - May 5th! EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 11:33 am

and don't forget... drinkable water!

Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Big Brew Day - May 5th!   Big Brew Day - May 5th! EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 11:31 am

Look forward to seeing you there, Mike. We scouted out the park the other night and it should do really well. There's a big cement slab with plenty of room for the brewers and their systems to do their magic. There's a shelter, a pretty nice playground and covered horseshoe pits. A little out of the way, but a great location overall.
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: Big Brew Day - May 5th!   Big Brew Day - May 5th! EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 11:07 am

Awesome! Beer for brats would be great!

Agreed! If you're brewing, post what you're thinking of brewing and whether its all grain, partial, or extract.

Back to top Go down
Michaeljeffreythomas

Michaeljeffreythomas

PostSubject: I will be there!   Big Brew Day - May 5th! EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 11:04 am

I will be there with my system. I can do all grain or just a kit. We should get a head count of who's brewing what.

I have a pot and some extra beer for the brats if we want to boil them.
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Big Brew Day - May 5th!   Big Brew Day - May 5th! EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 9:30 am

The location is set! Big Brew Day 2012 will be at
Lincoln Park (same as last years Hopluck). We'll have the building available to us, which includes a full kitchen. Tell your friends, share the flier below, send the Facebook event, and just get the word out! This is a great opportunity for non brewers to check out a variety of systems.

If you're looking to bring a system out to demo, let me thank you ahead of time. I know it's a lot of work to drag your equipment around and brew in uncharted territory. Thank you! Feel free to post here what you are brewing and if you need any special equipment. We'd like to stagger some of the brews, but I figure with everyone's systems being different, they'll probably end all at different times. If the first brewer can plan on starting at 10am, that'd be great. We'll be there at 8:30 or so to allow everyone in to set up.

Thanks again!

Download, view, and share the flier
Big Brew Day - May 5th! Bigbrewthumb

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big Brew Day - May 5th!   Big Brew Day - May 5th! Empty

Back to top Go down

Big Brew Day - May 5th!
Page 1 of 1