Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Beers for Local Demonstration

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cctsurf

cctsurf

Beers for Local Demonstration Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beers for Local Demonstration   Beers for Local Demonstration EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 7:20 pm

Thanks all! I had a pretty good presentation/tasting, it seemed to be well received. I hope to bring an example of the three beers I bottled (and perhaps even the kegged, if I can figure out how to put it in bottles) to the informal meeting--if time allows, I have a large commitment later that week.
I didn't get to do anything too far out of the normal for me, such as an IPA or sour beer. I brought what I said I would bring, a harp clone, a McEwans clone (wee heavy Scottish), an oatmeal stout, a nut brown ale, and a slightly hoppy Boulevard wheat clone. They seemed to go over well, and I heard some great comments, such as, "I don't normally like a dark beer, but this one is good" about my nut brown ale, so I was excited to be opening people's minds.
Thanks again!
James
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Beers for Local Demonstration   Beers for Local Demonstration EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 7:58 am

cctsurf wrote:
Can I do a sour beer in a month? Just a thought...
In my estimation it would be near-impossible to do an authentic sour beer in a month. Now, if it didn't matter how you soured it or how the sour character ended up in the finished beer, then yes, it would be possible. You can sour a beer using sour mashing, use of acidulated malt or food grade lactic acid. There was also a recent article in one of the BYO or Zymurgy magazines that discussed a fast route to a sour beer aside from the above methods. You may want to try and seek that out that article if the the methods I mentioned don't appeal to you.
Back to top Go down
JaymeG

JaymeG

PostSubject: Re: Beers for Local Demonstration   Beers for Local Demonstration EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 3:59 pm

I have a pumpkin spice or a pale ale for you but no stout sorry..... Sad
Back to top Go down
cctsurf

cctsurf

PostSubject: Re: Beers for Local Demonstration   Beers for Local Demonstration EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 2:44 pm

I appreciate the idea, however, I'm really looking for something that would take the drinker out of their coors light comfort zone. Right now, I've got the McEwan's Clone, Harp, Oatmeal Stout, Newcastle Clone, and a Boulevard clone planned, most of which are fairly amenable to that pallet, with the possible exception of the Stout. I'm really hoping for a sour beer... I've never brewed one either, so that's a reason as well... Can I do a sour beer in a month? Just a thought...
Thanks,
James
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: Beers for Local Demonstration   Beers for Local Demonstration EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 2:21 pm

I have don't have any IPA suggestions for you... but as for the sour how about doing a Flanders Red, those are usually nice.

Jamil's got a good recipe for a starting point: Flanders Red Ale Recipe
Back to top Go down
http://www.muddyrivermashers.com
cctsurf

cctsurf

PostSubject: Re: Beers for Local Demonstration   Beers for Local Demonstration EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 2:14 pm

I'm looking for recipe suggestions for the ipa and for the sour beer. I'm planning on ordering this afternoon, gonna have to rush it...
Thanks in Advance,
James
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: Beers for Local Demonstration   Beers for Local Demonstration EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 3:51 pm

I think you've got the right idea with the line up. Try to hit something of every color.

Will you be the only one serving the beer? I guess I'd do bombers if I had to bottle, and if you can, get a pourer for each beer. That may not be necessary depending on how many people are drinking though.

If its just you doing the pouring, I would serve them in an order (mildest to strongest is easier on the palate). That way when everyone's been served the first brew, you can introduce the next and take questions while pouring.
Back to top Go down
cctsurf

cctsurf

PostSubject: Re: Beers for Local Demonstration   Beers for Local Demonstration EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 2:38 pm

It's going to be in Ashley, I'm really not certain how many people are going to attend, there seems to be some excitement about the presentation, so it could be a fair number, however, I think if we sample at a rate of 1-2 oz per person, a gallon or two of 6-12 beers should suffice. Like I said, any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
James
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: Beers for Local Demonstration   Beers for Local Demonstration EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 2:07 pm

Sounds like fun. Bad day though.

Where's the event at? How much beer are you thinking you'll need?
Back to top Go down
cctsurf

cctsurf

PostSubject: Beers for Local Demonstration   Beers for Local Demonstration EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 10:19 pm

I'm sorry I haven't been able to make meetings for a little while, however, I have an interesting conundrum. I have been asked to do a homebrew demonstration/howto locally, and they have also asked me to contribute a number of homebrews for tasting. Sadly, this event takes place on October 1, which I believe coincides with Octoberfest.
Anyway, What I'm interested in is ideas on brews I might make for the tasting. I currently have one beer on tap (a boulevard wheat clone) that I will be willing to contribute, and I was planning on making ~5 new brews in 2 gal batches, to be tasted in 1-2oz increments. I believe that they should be fairly amenable to the average (coors light) pallet, yet I am unwilling to entirely compromise, and want to make at least a couple of fairly exotic brews as well. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. A few beers that I am fairly familiar with making are a harp clone, an oatmeal stout, a "strong scotch ale" (McEwan's Clone), and a Newcastle clone. I was hoping to get into a Lager, but I would say that time is not available for lagering. I thought I might like to branch out a bit for this, perhaps a simple sour beer, an IPA, or something else...I'm wide open for ideas.
If anyone wants to trade some brew with me or something like that, so that I might have a wider selection, that would be great too!
I am also curious how you would serve all these brews, I would love to be able to keg them, but that is a little outside of my current abilities, right now I'm planning on bottling, as much as I love that... Again, any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
James
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beers for Local Demonstration   Beers for Local Demonstration Empty

Back to top Go down

Beers for Local Demonstration
Page 1 of 1