Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptyMon May 03, 2010 11:18 am

Just so everyone knows, the now-dubbed 3 Finger IPA is going strong. The double whammy of Pacman and British ale yeasts are wreaking havoc and creating sweet, sweet alcohol. Had to keep a washcloth collar around the airlock and change it out last night due to excessive blow off - it sounded like a tea kettle whistling. Also, you can smell all of the 8 ounces of hops through the airlock, along with a malty backbone. At this rate, it may be good to keg by Sunday.
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptyMon May 03, 2010 8:07 am

looks like it was fun, how much do i owe you tyler?
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptySun May 02, 2010 1:35 pm

BIG Brew Day went great!

Here are some photos for those who couldn't make it: BIG Brew Day Photos

I'll keep you posted on the AHA's tally of total brew.
Back to top Go down
http://www.muddyrivermashers.com
Beer Dealer

Beer Dealer

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptySat May 01, 2010 9:55 am

I hope the rain doesnt hamper your efforts.. Mad I still want to try mine ...i am going to do an ESB and then monday Do the same batch For Jeb..at the class..Jeff
Back to top Go down
http://www.wwnh.net
Tyler

Tyler

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 6:46 pm

Ingredients obtained!

Summa dis, summa dat, nothin' too weird.

I'm excited for the brew, I think it'll be good.
Back to top Go down
Beer Dealer

Beer Dealer

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 3:04 pm

Well someone bought some Hops and if you do the 2oz's at 60minutes you will get 80ibus,,,thats as much as i will say as maybe he want to surprise..Jeff

PS i really think some Munich or Maris otter for grains..
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 10:35 am

Tyler wrote:
dkwandt wrote:
tyler chat with mike and get somthing good, for me, i will pay you back on tuesday!

Doable...

...now to unleash my powers!

Regarding yeast: I've been looking into pitching rates a lot lately, it seems like most homebrewers underpitch significantly on almost every batch. Unless you specifically want to determine the character the Pacman yeast will give you, I might pick up a second package of yeast for a maximum-ass-kicking yeast army.
Sign me up, man. Pacman is a good all-around yeast but I don't believe it has any outstanding characteristics. So if you want to do a 1-2 punch yeast combo, I'd like to see how it goes.

In line with what you're saying, I have always had far, far greater results from any yeast starters I made, even with Activator packs. So I'm in agreement with what you're saying, for sure.
Back to top Go down
Tyler

Tyler

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 10:23 am

dkwandt wrote:
tyler chat with mike and get somthing good, for me, i will pay you back on tuesday!

Doable...

...now to unleash my powers!

Regarding yeast: I've been looking into pitching rates a lot lately, it seems like most homebrewers underpitch significantly on almost every batch. Unless you specifically want to determine the character the Pacman yeast will give you, I might pick up a second package of yeast for a maximum-ass-kicking yeast army.
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 10:21 am

Tyler wrote:
Mike Philleo wrote:
Well, we did buy some Pacman yeast from Jeff for this...but we can either make a yeast cocktail or use the Pacman for a future club brew if you've got something up your sleeve...

I forgot about the Pacman yeast mentioned at the bottom. Do you have enough yeast for the gravity of beer we'll be doing?

I'll be stoppin' at Jeff's today, we'll see what I can find.
Honestly, I don't know how big it'll be. Though maybe I'll donate some candi sugar to push it in one particular direction.
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 10:18 am

Back to top Go down
Tyler

Tyler

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 10:12 am

Mike Philleo wrote:
Well, we did buy some Pacman yeast from Jeff for this...but we can either make a yeast cocktail or use the Pacman for a future club brew if you've got something up your sleeve...

I forgot about the Pacman yeast mentioned at the bottom. Do you have enough yeast for the gravity of beer we'll be doing?

I'll be stoppin' at Jeff's today, we'll see what I can find.
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 9:04 am

Back to top Go down
Tyler

Tyler

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 8:15 am

Do we have a yeast selection yet?

*snicker, snicker, snicker...*
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptyFri Apr 30, 2010 8:00 am

just grab something that sounds interesting and i will give you 10 on tuesday, i leave early for drill today, and have too much running around to get it to you!
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 7:00 pm

dkwandt wrote:
i hope you guys come up with something really good! i will be very exicted to try it! by the way randi and mike, i can chip in say $10 bucks or what ever you think might be fair. to put in something else that interests you guys!
Well, shoot - even if you can't make it but want to contribute anything toward the brew, just let me know what you want in it and I'll make sure you get your "say," so to speak, with that part of the ingredients.
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 3:16 pm

i hope you guys come up with something really good! i will be very exicted to try it! by the way randi and mike, i can chip in say $10 bucks or what ever you think might be fair. to put in something else that interests you guys!
Back to top Go down
Tyler

Tyler

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 2:34 pm

Don't be too scared, I don't even know what I might bring...

We'll all have to keep my fingers crossed. You'd just better hope Yoshi points me on the straight and narrow when I'm in Jeff's shop.
Back to top Go down
Beer Dealer

Beer Dealer

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 2:30 pm

dont forget to read this as this is the reason.... http://www.americancraftbeerweek.org/pdf/Declaration.pdf ,, jeff

Last edited by Beer Dealer on Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 2:28 pm

Now I'm a little afraid. affraid
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 2:26 pm

Awesome, that's what I like to hear!
Back to top Go down
Tyler

Tyler

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 2:15 pm

I'll do some scheming and see if I can stop in at WWnH.

Be afraid-ish!
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 2:12 pm

Tyler wrote:
Do we have any parameters for what we're brewin' besides "IPA?"

I might have a wrench or two to throw in your gears...
Well, if you have style concerns, we can classify it as an IPA-style Specialty Beer. Very Happy

Honestly, our parameters go hand-in-hand with what folks bring in. Failing that, we'll just use some of my vast supplies to make a proper IPA.
Back to top Go down
Tyler

Tyler

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 1:51 pm

Do we have any parameters for what we're brewin' besides "IPA?"

I might have a wrench or two to throw in your gears...
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 9:09 am

I've got the Pacman yeast!
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 9:01 am

Remember this is a potluck style brew, so we're counting on everyone bringing a few things to make this a great beer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day?   What are you bringing to the BIG Brew Day? Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1