Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Beer Seems Thick

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Igraf

Igraf

Beer Seems Thick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer Seems Thick   Beer Seems Thick EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 3:07 pm

Yeah I would wait until the two weeks are up and take gravity readings a couple days apart to make sure they are the same and then rack to a clean keg and then try carbing.
Back to top Go down
FRIESER17

FRIESER17

Beer Seems Thick Empty
PostSubject: Adding US05   Beer Seems Thick EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 1:28 pm

So I ordered some us05, I want to make sure I do this correctly. When I get the yeast I just add it to the beer in the keg and then seal the keg with CO2. Then 2 to 3 times a day pull the pressure relief valve on the keg. Let it sit for about 2 weeks pulling the valve each day and then take another gravity reading and observe the beer at that point. Then do I transfer it to another keg after the two weeks then re-carb? Thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
Igraf

Igraf

Beer Seems Thick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer Seems Thick   Beer Seems Thick EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 9:41 pm

Did you take a gravity reading before moving to the secondary? I I also noticed you said you lowered the temp to 47, was that the entire length of the secondary? 47 is below the recommended low end fermentation of that strain. I have never used this strain so I don't know if this is an issue or not. It almost sounds to me like it did not stop fermenting. If you have an empty keg I would take a gravity reading and then pitch a pack of us05 into the keg, resealer the keg with co2 and bleed off the pressure 2 or 3 times a day. Lave it a couple weeks and then take another gravity reading. I will make sure my fermentation has finished and then cold crash for a day or two but have never had beer that has the consistency that you are describing.
Back to top Go down
FRIESER17

FRIESER17

Beer Seems Thick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer Seems Thick   Beer Seems Thick EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 8:45 pm

I kegged it and it is carbing at 20psi @ about 48°
Back to top Go down
FRIESER17

FRIESER17

Beer Seems Thick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer Seems Thick   Beer Seems Thick EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 8:42 pm

It is syrupy enough when you poor it over your finger it coats it like a light oil would but not sticky. It does taste a little sweet not as bitter as I would expect, it does have a heavy body when tasting it, I believe I am describing that right. I don't smell anything bad it smells a little hoppy and I do smell the grain.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

Beer Seems Thick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer Seems Thick   Beer Seems Thick EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 8:21 pm

How syrupy are we talking here? Did it still taste sweet like there was still a lot of residual sugars? One thing that could have happened was not enough areation and your yeast crapped out. Did you bottle or keg it yet? Did it have any off flavors or skunkyness?

I had a beer one time crap out after a day of good fermentation and then after I transfered to a secondary and dry hopped it kicked off again into another strong ferment and it finished out great however it scrubbed out most of my dry hop aroma through the airlock though.
Back to top Go down
http://edelzer@hotmail.com
FRIESER17

FRIESER17

Beer Seems Thick Empty
PostSubject: Beer Seems Thick   Beer Seems Thick EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 6:57 pm

I attempted to make an IPA and just finished the secondary fermentation and was checking the FG then moving it to a keg. The beer seemed thick, it is not to dark but has a light syrupy look. I don't know if this is normal or if I have my first failed batched. I used 10lbs 2row, 2lbs of Munich Malt and .5lbs chocolate malt. OG 1.055 (predicted 1.059) and I used 2112 wyeast. Primary was 2 weeks long and secondary went 10 days @ 68* and then I lowered the temp to 47*. I did notice that there was not much at the bottom of my secondary. The FG is 1.020 (predicted FG 1.014). What could have happened?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Beer Seems Thick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beer Seems Thick   Beer Seems Thick Empty

Back to top Go down

Beer Seems Thick
Page 1 of 1