Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Corny Keg Carbonation

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dkwandt

dkwandt

Corny Keg Carbonation Empty
PostSubject: try this place   Corny Keg Carbonation EmptyWed Mar 31, 2010 8:56 am

http://www.homebrewers.com/category/beerlsvkegging.2/

Rebuilt Cornelius Keg - 5 Gallon Ball-Lock $39.95
'''Rebuilt Cornelius Keg - 5 Gallon Ball-Lock''' Our rebuilt stainless steel Cornelius Kegs are all cleaned and pressure tested. We then replace the post, plug and keg lid "O" rings. These kegs are unconditionally guaranteed for one year. Dimensions: 25" tall x 8.5" in diameter.
Back to top Go down
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

PostSubject: Re: Corny Keg Carbonation   Corny Keg Carbonation EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 10:57 am

Kegging is definitely a bonus. I would agree with Mike. Bleed off the pressure and let it set for a couple of days. The CO2 dissolved into solution will take more than a day to come out. Keep a constant temperature as well. I think the best way to carbonate your beer in a keg is to set your psi to your desired serving pressure. It will take 4-5 days at this rate to carbonate, but you won't have to deal with over carbonating by jacking up the pressure to 30 psi for a day or two and then having to drop down to serving psi. But like I said, it takes patience.
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: welcome   Corny Keg Carbonation EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 8:23 am

welcome to the forum, and as the pres said hopefully the club! as a new brewer i am envious of those of you who can keg your beer, keep the temps good and DON"T HAVE TO FIND HUNDREDS OF BOTTLES BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Corny Keg Carbonation   Corny Keg Carbonation EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 9:28 pm

buckhntr2 wrote:
i have released the pressure and adjusted it to 8 psi for a day, and it still seems to be over carbonated. Is there anything you can do for overcarbonation?
First, I would try to bleed off all of the pressure. Once you've done that, let it sit for a day or so, longer if you have the time. That way you can allow the CO2 to come out of solution. Bleed it again, and see how it serves at that point. Another possibility is that you're serving it too warm, which can contribute to your situation. If the above solution doesn't work, you can always try to cool the serving temp, then lower the PSI really low, to about, say, 4 or 5 PSI and see if you have any changes.
Back to top Go down
buckhntr2

buckhntr2

PostSubject: Re: Corny Keg Carbonation   Corny Keg Carbonation EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 9:24 pm

i have released the pressure and adjusted it to 8 psi for a day, and it still seems to be over carbonated. Is there anything you can do for overcarbonation?
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Corny Keg Carbonation   Corny Keg Carbonation EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 9:17 pm

buckhntr2 wrote:
I am pretty new to the home brewing obsession, but i recently purchased a kegging setup. This last weekend i kegged an irish red, and sierra pale ale. I cannot seem to get the irish red to not get so much head when i pour a glass. Just kind of wondering what kind of pressure all you guys think i should be running. I currently have it at about eight psi.
Welcome to the forum and, possibly the club!

To answer your question, the PSI for serving a beer obviously depends on the style and will reflect the pressure at which you carbonated your beer. Assuming the Irish isn't overcarbed, I would say 5 PSI, on the low end, 10 on the high end and about 7 or 8 PSI are good serving pressures. 10 moreso for lagers and light ales or Belgians, 5 for British or Euro style casked ales and 7 or 8, like I said, as a good medium. I'd recommend bleeding the extra pressure in your keg, then setting the regulator to 7 or 8 and adjust it higher or lower from there. If that doesn't help, it's possible you've overcarbonated your beer, but more likely, you have to bleed off the extra pressure and find a suitable serving pressure. Hopefully that answers your question - let us know if it helps!
Back to top Go down
buckhntr2

buckhntr2

PostSubject: Corny Keg Carbonation   Corny Keg Carbonation EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 9:08 pm

I am pretty new to the home brewing obsession, but i recently purchased a kegging setup. This last weekend i kegged an irish red, and sierra pale ale. I cannot seem to get the irish red to not get so much head when i pour a glass. Just kind of wondering what kind of pressure all you guys think i should be running. I currently have it at about eight psi.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Corny Keg Carbonation   Corny Keg Carbonation Empty

Back to top Go down

Corny Keg Carbonation
Page 1 of 1