Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Club Barrel

Go down 
+6
Strixacadicus
Michaeljeffreythomas
Eric
Igraf
Mike Philleo
randi philleo
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
lwald

lwald

Club Barrel - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club Barrel   Club Barrel - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 4:03 pm

I like that. I think it would be sweet I have never brew with a bunch of people.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Club Barrel   Club Barrel - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 3:30 pm

it would be cool if we could get enough brewers participating in big brew day and then use that to fill the barrel
Back to top Go down
http://edelzer@hotmail.com
lwald

lwald

PostSubject: Re: Club Barrel   Club Barrel - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2013 10:05 pm

Ill do it I only got a 5gal set up to brew with but im down let me know when,and what to brew.
Back to top Go down
Strixacadicus

Strixacadicus

PostSubject: Re: Club Barrel   Club Barrel - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 8:16 pm

I would be in for at least 5 if not 10 and would also be in favor of keeping out a keg for Oktoberfest.

Adam
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Club Barrel   Club Barrel - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 4:41 pm

I was going to chime in quickly about the options listed on that website and the survey. I'm going to preface this by saying it is solely my opinion, based on my experience. Ultimately, it's up to the majority among those who plan on participating in this activity to decide. Anyway, my belief is that we would get the greatest amount of use out of the "French/American/Hungarian Red Wine Barrel - $119" option. Not only is it the cheapest wine barrel available, but it's also been used for red wines, which will leave a lot of appealing notes in the barrel. That being the case, it won't be as overpowering as a bourbon, whiskey or rum barrel, so we'll have a greater opportunity to utilize this barrel for a wider range of styles, from pilseners to un-soured Berliner weisses to dry export stouts. On the other hand, it can be a good deal more challenging to use a liquor barrel for something more delicate than a brown ale, limiting it more to styles like porters and stouts. Having said my $0.02, I look forward to seeing what the polls show in the coming days.
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: Club Barrel   Club Barrel - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 4:32 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.muddyrivermashers.com
Michaeljeffreythomas

Michaeljeffreythomas

PostSubject: Re: Club Barrel   Club Barrel - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 11:43 am

I talked to Jon Madison he might be in too.
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: Club Barrel   Club Barrel - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 10:23 am

I think we'd definitely want to a 5 gallon batch for Oktoberfest serving! A bulk buy for ingredients could save us money too.

At this point I think a small barrel won't work, plus I think there might be a few brewers out there that haven't read the post that might be interested. Anyone else care to chime in?

Back to top Go down
Igraf

Igraf

PostSubject: Re: Club Barrel   Club Barrel - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 9:09 pm

I would be up for making 10 gallons, but wouldn't want to take all 10 gallons back out. Would we want to keep at least 5 gallons for Oktoberfest? I also like the idea of buying in bulk if it will save us some money.
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: Club Barrel   Club Barrel - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 1:59 pm

I'm in for either a smaller 25 or a big 53 gallon, it just really depends on how many brewers are interested.
Back to top Go down
Michaeljeffreythomas

Michaeljeffreythomas

PostSubject: Re: Club Barrel   Club Barrel - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 10:13 am

I love the idea!

What about a "53 Gallon Makers Mark Bourbon/Whiskey Barrel - $119" Stout?

We should come up with a recipe and buy the grains, yeast and hops in bulk.

I am in for 15 gallons. I will make two 10 gallon batches and keep 5 out to compare.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Club Barrel   Club Barrel - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 11:38 pm

I'm in favor of it
Back to top Go down
http://edelzer@hotmail.com
Igraf

Igraf

PostSubject: Re: Club Barrel   Club Barrel - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 10:21 pm

I found these smaller barrels, they cost more, but it may be easier to fill 15 or 25 rather than 55

http://rockymountainbarrelcompany.com/brewers/

Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Club Barrel   Club Barrel - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 5:58 pm

I'm definitely in favor of this idea. I've spoken to the guys in Dickinson, namely Ryan, and it sounds like a lot of fun and a great opportunity for the members. Since we're fortunate to have such a surplus in operation of the club, this would end up being a very good long term investment. It's not only an investment in the education of our members but a chance for them to experience brewing a wider variety of beer styles without added personal expense.
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Club Barrel   Club Barrel - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 5:53 pm

If the club were to get a large used whiskey or wine barrel (50+ gallons), would anyone be interested in brewing beer to contribute to the barrel?

Some homebrew clubs own a communal barrel. What they do to fill the barrel is have everyone who wants to take part brew a similar recipe/style. All brews are added to the barrel to age. Once the brew is done, everyone comes with their buckets/carboys to take their share home. So, you'd get out of it what you put into it.

There's a lot of great styles out there to barrel age. Would you be interested in doing something like this? Please post yes or no, or suggestions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Club Barrel   Club Barrel - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Club Barrel
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2