Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Bismarck Water Profile

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

Bismarck Water Profile Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bismarck Water Profile   Bismarck Water Profile EmptyMon May 13, 2013 12:13 pm

permo wrote:
Does anybody have a report that details the water profile for Bismarck? The information on the GOVT website is too vague to be usefull to a brewer.
We're lucky to have Todd Ussatis as our "inside guy" for all things city water. I believe he may have access to an updated report or be able to point you in the right direction. If I see him, I'll be sure to point him toward this thread. You could always shoot him a private message.

Based on what I've heard him say, our water profile is fairly neutral (though not Czech degree of neutral) with some calcium (?) and the biggest change now being the transition from chlorine to chloramines. After my brew on Friday, I'm satisifed so far, at how the campden tablets perform in helping neutralize the effects of chloramine. The wort tasted normal, the pH seemed fine and the yeast seem as happy as I've ever seen them. But, for the love of God, don't taste a campden tablet to see what flavor they may impart. They taste terrible, like a salty vitamin pill. : /
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: Bismarck Water Profile   Bismarck Water Profile EmptyMon May 13, 2013 12:02 pm

I think most of the folks are brewing as usual or are adding campden tablets. More recent post on Chloramines here: https://muddyrivermashers.forumotion.com/t717-chloramines-article
Back to top Go down
http://www.muddyrivermashers.com
h0psnobery

h0psnobery

PostSubject: Any changes?   Bismarck Water Profile EmptyTue May 07, 2013 3:33 pm

I know that this is an old thread, but has anyone changed what they do since the city started using chloromine instead of chlorine?
Back to top Go down
permo

permo

PostSubject: Re: Bismarck Water Profile   Bismarck Water Profile EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 1:59 pm

mike frohlich wrote:
I cold crash it for 24 hours and then rack it. I get very good results using this method with my fermenter. I use a racking arm (1/2 stainless ball valve that rotates with a weldless bulkhead with a stainless steel dip tube) to pull the beer off so that I don't disturb the yeast cake. If I want it super clean, I have a plate filter, but haven't used it in some time. Filter pads aren't cheap, you have the waste of a pint or two, and then it's just the hassle of doing the whole process.

We won't be filtering at the pub, so I wanted to develop the beers with that in mind as well. At the previous brewpub I worked at, we did use a plate filter (I believe it was 32 plates/use). Worked very well. The filters of this type can be upwards of $5K and the pads are over a $100/batch if I remember correctly. Added cost that doesn't seem necessary for us at this time.

Well you are certainly on the right track as far as I am concerned. Surly does no filtering or pastuerizing of their beers and they are TASTY, however their strain is WLP007 and that stuff drops like a rock.
Back to top Go down
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

PostSubject: Re: Bismarck Water Profile   Bismarck Water Profile EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 1:21 pm

I cold crash it for 24 hours and then rack it. I get very good results using this method with my fermenter. I use a racking arm (1/2 stainless ball valve that rotates with a weldless bulkhead with a stainless steel dip tube) to pull the beer off so that I don't disturb the yeast cake. If I want it super clean, I have a plate filter, but haven't used it in some time. Filter pads aren't cheap, you have the waste of a pint or two, and then it's just the hassle of doing the whole process.

We won't be filtering at the pub, so I wanted to develop the beers with that in mind as well. At the previous brewpub I worked at, we did use a plate filter (I believe it was 32 plates/use). Worked very well. The filters of this type can be upwards of $5K and the pads are over a $100/batch if I remember correctly. Added cost that doesn't seem necessary for us at this time.
Back to top Go down
permo

permo

PostSubject: Re: Bismarck Water Profile   Bismarck Water Profile EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 1:08 pm

mike frohlich wrote:
I harvest yeast, but I am not concerned about propagating a house strain at this time. Most of my beers use Wyeast 1056 with great results.

1056 is a classic, I apologize for so many questions, but what method do you use to drop this yeast out of suspension? I have found 1056/wlp001 to be a bugger to clear withought a lot of cold crash time and or/gelatin. I suppose a filter would be optimal for this.
Back to top Go down
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

PostSubject: Re: Bismarck Water Profile   Bismarck Water Profile EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 1:05 pm

I harvest yeast, but I am not concerned about propagating a house strain at this time. Most of my beers use Wyeast 1056 with great results.
Back to top Go down
permo

permo

PostSubject: Re: Bismarck Water Profile   Bismarck Water Profile EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 11:45 am

mike frohlich wrote:
Never had a problem with the near 50 batches I've made here in the last 2 years. We won't be doing any water filtering at the pub either.

Free Range Missouri River Water! Sounds tasty

Have you considered possibly altering the characterics of a yeast strain to come up with your own proprietary strain for the pub/brewery? Like starting with WLP001 and pushing it colder and colder with every subsequent batch until you have a flocculant hybrid strain like pacman
Back to top Go down
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

PostSubject: Re: Bismarck Water Profile   Bismarck Water Profile EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 11:38 am

Never had a problem with the near 50 batches I've made here in the last 2 years. We won't be doing any water filtering at the pub either.
Back to top Go down
permo

permo

PostSubject: Re: Bismarck Water Profile   Bismarck Water Profile EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 11:23 am

mike frohlich wrote:
Bismarck water is excellent for brewing. It averages about a 100ppm of calcium on any given day. I haven't worried about the PH here.

I add gypsum to my IPA, but other than that, rarely. No filtration.

Awesome!! The only difference is that I run mine through an inline charcoal filter as opposed to using campden tabs or anything of that nature. However, there is much discussion on how necassary this is. Supposedly cholorine and such just boils away.

Back to top Go down
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

PostSubject: Re: Bismarck Water Profile   Bismarck Water Profile EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 11:20 am

Bismarck water is excellent for brewing. It averages about a 100ppm of calcium on any given day. I haven't worried about the PH here.

I add gypsum to my IPA, but other than that, rarely. No filtration.
Back to top Go down
permo

permo

PostSubject: Re: Bismarck Water Profile   Bismarck Water Profile EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 3:28 pm

randi philleo wrote:
The city of Bismarck has the 2009 quality reports on their site: http://www.bismarck.org/index.aspx?NID=225

Not sure if that's the information you're looking for though.

Thank you, I did see that and that at least gives harness and PH, I will have to measure the PH of my next mash to see where it settles at.

Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: Bismarck Water Profile   Bismarck Water Profile EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 1:35 pm

The city of Bismarck has the 2009 quality reports on their site: http://www.bismarck.org/index.aspx?NID=225

Not sure if that's the information you're looking for though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.muddyrivermashers.com
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Bismarck Water Profile   Bismarck Water Profile EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 1:31 pm

permo wrote:
Mike Philleo wrote:
I know Randi and I have a copy of the city water profile somewhere. Unfortunately, it's written in a language best deciphered by chemists (which I am not, admittedly). That said, there's a gentleman who previously ran a now-defunct brewclub in town here and he worked for the water department. We might have his contact info since he attended our Oktoberfest.

Was there a final veridict regarding the water? Do most brewers simply filter the water and brew, or do we need to adjust the mineral content with various brewing salts? I am in the habbit of always adding a little gypsum to my pale ales and IPA's, but I would really rather know the facts.

I will contact the water dept and post my findings if you dont find your findings first!
The only meaningful info I can recall off the top of my head involved higher calcium carbonate levels if I'm not mistaken. Other than that, everything is fairly balance. For what it's worth, I don't really do anything to treat my liquor, except the use of 5.2 pH mash salts. On a suggestion, I used to use potassium metabisulfite, but found it really didn't improve anything and may have actually thinned the body of my beers.
Back to top Go down
permo

permo

PostSubject: Re: Bismarck Water Profile   Bismarck Water Profile EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 12:49 pm

Mike Philleo wrote:
I know Randi and I have a copy of the city water profile somewhere. Unfortunately, it's written in a language best deciphered by chemists (which I am not, admittedly). That said, there's a gentleman who previously ran a now-defunct brewclub in town here and he worked for the water department. We might have his contact info since he attended our Oktoberfest.

Was there a final veridict regarding the water? Do most brewers simply filter the water and brew, or do we need to adjust the mineral content with various brewing salts? I am in the habbit of always adding a little gypsum to my pale ales and IPA's, but I would really rather know the facts.

I will contact the water dept and post my findings if you dont find your findings first!
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Bismarck Water Profile   Bismarck Water Profile EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 12:05 pm

Back to top Go down
permo

permo

PostSubject: Bismarck Water Profile   Bismarck Water Profile EmptyMon Apr 18, 2011 8:18 am

Does anybody have a report that details the water profile for Bismarck? The information on the GOVT website is too vague to be usefull to a brewer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bismarck Water Profile   Bismarck Water Profile Empty

Back to top Go down

Bismarck Water Profile
Page 1 of 1