Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Thinking out of the box

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JaymeG

JaymeG

Thinking out of the box Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thinking out of the box   Thinking out of the box EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 7:09 pm

I won't be making it to this comong meeting but I will be at the one after that. It does have a lot of haze as suspected, but I am pleased with the taste (if you like a sweet beer). It's not overwhelming by any means but it's different. Some will like & some will hate....

Of course I will be sharing! Very Happy Would like to hear input & I'm sure not many have tasted a sweet potato ale.
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: Thinking out of the box   Thinking out of the box EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 9:23 am

i hope you are sharing!
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Thinking out of the box   Thinking out of the box EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 12:16 am

That sounds very encouraging, to say the least. I was curious how your starchy foray would turn out. Not sure if you're coming to the next meeting, but I'm sure no one would turn down a taste, heh.
Back to top Go down
JaymeG

JaymeG

PostSubject: Re: Thinking out of the box   Thinking out of the box EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 7:46 pm

I just took my 1st pull off of the tap of the "Sweet Spudtacular" & it definately lives up to it's name! YUMMM! BIG SUCCESS!!! I am EXTREMELY happy with the results! I like it even better than my Pumpkin Wizz. cheers

santa Merry Christmas Mashers & to all of your families! rendeer
Back to top Go down
JaymeG

JaymeG

PostSubject: Re: Thinking out of the box   Thinking out of the box EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 2:29 pm

Very Happy WOW!!!! That's the only way I can describe how delicious the wort tasted! If that's a good indicator on how things are gonna finish, this just might be better than the Pumpkin Wizz!

How does this name sound? (I know, it might be a little cheesey but I like it)
"Sweet Spudtacular": drunken
Back to top Go down
JaymeG

JaymeG

PostSubject: Re: Thinking out of the box   Thinking out of the box EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 10:32 am

Yup, same as the pumpkin. I peeled & cut up the potatoes. Then baking them @ 350 for about 1 1/2 hrs. Then gonna throw them in the mash for an hour. But I figured the potatoes have much more flavor than pumpkin so I am doing 4 lbs of potatoes where I did 6 lbs of pumpkin.

I hope this turns out like I want it to cause Sweet Potatoes are around all year where pumpkin is only around for a short time. Well, the real stuff anyways.

I'm still adding the molasses, cinnamon, brown sugar, nutmeg & vanilla. I figured I'm gonna do the exact same as the pumpkin wizz & see how they compare.

Last edited by JaymeG on Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: Thinking out of the box   Thinking out of the box EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 10:04 am

Cool, I was quoted! Heh. That sounds great Jayme.

Its funny that this came up, because just on friday I was reading about Fullsteam's Carver Sweet Potato Beer (thanks to a link from Brew Masters on Facebook).

So how did or do you prep the potatoes for something like this? Same as with the pumpkin?

Back to top Go down
http://www.muddyrivermashers.com
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: Thinking out of the box   Thinking out of the box EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 9:32 am

jayme,

that is awesome! i love that you are soo creative! can't wait to try it. i know jeff had been looking at idaho potato IPA recipes!
Back to top Go down
JaymeG

JaymeG

PostSubject: Thinking out of the box   Thinking out of the box EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 8:37 am

scratch Well I've been thinking about my next brew & I came up with an idea. Sweet Potato Ale! I am going to use the same recipe as my pumpkin spice & just use some sweet potato. I was doing my usual "thinking out of the box" (like Randi says) & I thought of this at work. Then looking around on the internet I find out I'm not the only one that has thought of this.... sigh... oh well. study

I know potatoes have lots of starch & will probably cause a lot of chill haze. But for me, it's not a beauty contest, it's a taste deal. Don't get me wrong, I love a good looking beer, but it's nothing without a good taste!

Today is the brew day! I hope all goes well. I have a lot ot peeling & baking to do. bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking out of the box   Thinking out of the box Empty

Back to top Go down

Thinking out of the box
Page 1 of 1