Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Does anyone have any experience with Potassium Sorbate?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Does anyone have any experience with Potassium Sorbate? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any experience with Potassium Sorbate?   Does anyone have any experience with Potassium Sorbate? EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 11:55 am

Thanks, good to know.

Thats kind of what I thought from all that I could gather on the interweb.

I might have to try it depending on how it ferments out.
Back to top Go down
http://edelzer@hotmail.com
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any experience with Potassium Sorbate?   Does anyone have any experience with Potassium Sorbate? EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 10:48 am

The cider I had at last years Oktoberfest I stopped with Potassium Sorbate and backsweetened with more juice. I thought it worked well and I didn't notice any off flavors.

I've also had good luck sweetening with Lactose. Though it wont give you a dark sugar flavor.

As far as off flavors go, I think its more apt to occur in wines with a lot of lactic acid (grapes). The Malolactic fermentation is what seems to make off flavors with Pottassium Sorbate. I wouldn't think you'd have any problems in your pumpkin beer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.muddyrivermashers.com
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Does anyone have any experience with Potassium Sorbate?   Does anyone have any experience with Potassium Sorbate? EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 10:00 am

I brewed a spiced pumpkin ale over the weekend and have been pondering about it. All of the pumpkin beers I have ever had have been lacking a little in my opinion. When I think of pumpkin spice I'm looking for pumpkin pie in a bottle. A sweet malty spicy pumpkin beer. A lot of people add brown sugar or molasses to their brew looking to add that flavor but being that it is simple sugars it completely ferments out and makes the beer dryer, thinner and higher in ABV.

Since this is the first one I've done I did add a pound of brown sugar at flameout to see where I'm at and I used a 1056 to be able to judge my malt and hop profile and make corrections and then try a different yeast next time. (plus a 1056 was all I had)

My thought is that to get the little hint of brown sugar sweetness is to add a little potassium sorbate at the end and cold crash for a couple days and then when I keg add a small amount of brown sugar to back sweeten it and adjust the spices if need be to get that pumpkin pie taste.

I'm wondering if any of the cider or wine makers out there have used this much.

Just trying to get some feedback as I've read that potassium sorbate can potentially add an off flavor.
Back to top Go down
http://edelzer@hotmail.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone have any experience with Potassium Sorbate?   Does anyone have any experience with Potassium Sorbate? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have any experience with Potassium Sorbate?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Muddy River Mashers :: Brewing Questions-
Jump to: