Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

american wheat

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
fuzzybob

fuzzybob

american wheat  Empty
PostSubject: Re: american wheat    american wheat  EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 4:59 pm

Maybe add small amount of cloves to primary after it fermented for about a week? To add more clove flavor
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

american wheat  Empty
PostSubject: Re: american wheat    american wheat  EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 3:50 pm

a common practice would be to under pitch, this stresses the yeast, but really brings out the banana, as for the clove character, i have only really under stood the banana being a bi product of stressing out hefeweizen yeast. temperature would be another way to stress the yeast to produce the flavor you want.
Back to top Go down
fuzzybob

fuzzybob

american wheat  Empty
PostSubject: Re: american wheat    american wheat  EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 12:54 pm

Going to guess the same would be true for a hefe, about the stress adding more banana and clove flavors? Then something I should really look into since the main reason getting into homebrewing was the fact I can't find a good hefe in bismarck except for like 2 weeks week jacks will have some in the summer
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

american wheat  Empty
PostSubject: Re: american wheat    american wheat  EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 12:16 pm

as a general rule the higher the alcohol the more O2 you need to multiply the yeast and provide less stress and off flavors. Unless of course you want the flavors produced when the strain you choose is stress. For instance some people intentionally stress out Belgian yeast to get more banana, bubble gum or fruit flavor to come through.

Shaking is fine, but very hard to duplicate. So when you find a beer you really love you will have another thing that can’t be copied. You could go inexpensive get a fish tank pump with in-line filter. After sanitized put it in the wort, turn the pump on record the time, you with then have a step that is more duplicatable.
Back to top Go down
fuzzybob

fuzzybob

american wheat  Empty
PostSubject: Re: american wheat    american wheat  EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 10:33 am

Did not know that about high O2, I just do the pour and shake didn't see the point to the air stone gets more O2 in the wort, but humans have been making beer just fine with out putting max O2 in the wort, guess I'll need to look more into it, if I down the road want to add that step I can
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

american wheat  Empty
PostSubject: Re: american wheat    american wheat  EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 9:21 am

I ask some of those people with slow starts including me, about the oxygen given to the wort. if you over oxygenate (has been very popular to do lately) your yeast spends the first 24 hours replicating as it eats up the oxygen first, then it starts on the sugars. I found that was the case for me at least, using just air rather than oxygen did not give me a lag in start. but I do have a faster over all fermentation when using oxygen because the yeast have multiplied so much there are more to go to town on all that tasty sugar. so in conclusion I think the lag people are seeing is due to the amount of oxygen they are using because there is not a formation of krausen when yeast are multiplying. at least this is my thoughts on it. glad to hear yours turned out!
Back to top Go down
fuzzybob

fuzzybob

american wheat  Empty
PostSubject: Re: american wheat    american wheat  EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 10:22 pm

ok got the wheat in bottles, tried a sample with some that wouldn't fill a bottle, came out pretty good for first time, now the hard part of letting it sit around for 3 more weeks.
got the wort chiller made 1/2" x 20' for $45 even. Much faster cooling then the ice bath. also got the hefe in primary.
not sure if im lucky but been reading the home brew talk and all the new people freaking out about not getting active fermentation in 24 hours, but so far both mine have started around the 12h mark
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

american wheat  Empty
PostSubject: Re: american wheat    american wheat  EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 10:17 am

Looking forward to trying a sample when its done Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.muddyrivermashers.com
dkwandt

dkwandt

american wheat  Empty
PostSubject: Re: american wheat    american wheat  EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 10:00 am

sounds like you are right on track! good luck, and keep it up!
Back to top Go down
fuzzybob

fuzzybob

american wheat  Empty
PostSubject: american wheat    american wheat  EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 11:57 pm

Made the 5 gallon batch of american wheat last weekend, looks like every thing is going well with it. planing on doing 2 primary 3 bottle, don't know the OG since kit didn't come with Hydrometer (planning on getting one). ordered the Bavarian Hefeweizen Extract Kit so should brew that next weekend and going to make a wort chiller before making it ( done pipe bending for work so won't be hard for me and will save a couple of bucks for more kits) and planing on when coolers go on sale to pick one up for the cheap to turn to mash tun don't plan on doing all grain for a bit but might as well start gathering the pieces when I can get them on sale since do plan on going that route
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

american wheat  Empty
PostSubject: Re: american wheat    american wheat  Empty

Back to top Go down

american wheat
Page 1 of 1