Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

New to the brewing world!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
twinsboy16

twinsboy16

New to the brewing world! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the brewing world!   New to the brewing world! EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 10:40 am

Well I bottled my beer this last Tue and can’t wait to try it. I went with American Pale ale for my first batch. Thanks for all the help!!
Back to top Go down
JaymeG

JaymeG

PostSubject: Re: New to the brewing world!   New to the brewing world! EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:37 pm

Unfortunately I cannot make the meeting tonight but I will be at the next meeting to bring a pumpkin spice that I hope will be as tasty as the last one.
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: New to the brewing world!   New to the brewing world! EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:33 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of homebrewing!!!

Jayme and Dennis are right. Pay attention to what your drinking and ask questions.

When I first started drinking beers, I thought I liked wheat beers. What I ended up liking was not wheat, but malty beers. I suppose that's where the "Queen of Darkness" nickname comes from, or at least I hope that's where.

If you can, hit up a meeting sometime (there's one tonight), and just taste as many different beers as you can. There's really no more valuable tool in brewing then brew comrades.
Back to top Go down
http://www.muddyrivermashers.com
JaymeG

JaymeG

PostSubject: Re: New to the brewing world!   New to the brewing world! EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 8:44 am

Now is the perfect time to start paying attention to what you order. Make mental notes on different brands of IPA, pale ale, porter, etc. Do you like the aroma, taste, malt, bitter, etc.... Once you develop your taste buds to what you like that is when you go to a partial mash and/or all grain cause then you can most certainly develope your own recipe to fit your taste.

The possibilities are endless and don't be afraid to get creative. I came up with and brewed a sweet potatoe ale that was a big hit with the club. cheers

Brewing is a lot of fun! Enjoy it, take pride in it and you will learn lots!
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: New to the brewing world!   New to the brewing world! EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 7:49 am

Yes I think it turned out great, my buddy brewed it for an open house for his business, and it never made it to the open house. For an extract brew it is pretty solid. American amber is always a good one to start with as well, or an American pale ale, for the last two I would get the kits from Jeff (I would upgrade the yeast, or at least hydrate the dry yeast in the kit) till you get the process down, if you brew just like the directions say (temperature is one of the most important parts, and cleaning) you will make a damn fine beer. Then as you decide what flavors you like you can start your own recipe library, or ask any of us for our recipe and tweak it the way you want. get a kit or two under your belt, (don't forget to post when you are brewing folks will come help if they can) get your process down then have fun with it. Hope to see you at a meeting in the near future.
Back to top Go down
twinsboy16

twinsboy16

PostSubject: Re: New to the brewing world!   New to the brewing world! EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 11:21 pm

In the past I would drink Bud Light, Blue Moon, and honey Weiss more lighter beers. My father-in-law has brewed beer in the past and drinks a lot of IPA’s and Pale Ale’s. I have stared ordering the same beer as him when we go to the walrus and JL Beers and have been very impressed with the majority of them. The problem is that I never know what the hell I’m ordering and didn’t pay much attention. Now that I’m looking to brew my own I’m having a hard time deciding what to try first. I know I haven’t acquired the taste for the extremely bitter beers.

I saw that you brewed a recipe like Honey Weiss – How did it turn out? Would you recommend it?

Or I’m open to any recipe ideas for a firs time brewer!! Also what is the average cost of the ingredient needed for 5 gal brew….

Thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: New to the brewing world!   New to the brewing world! EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 7:47 am

welcome to brewing if you want help or have questions, all the mashers will help.

when extract brewing i prefer dry malt extract, however, it matters very little, the extract just needs to be fresh.

what kinds of beer do you like?
Back to top Go down
JaymeG

JaymeG

PostSubject: Re: New to the brewing world!   New to the brewing world! EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 5:23 am

You can purchase ingredients, grains, kits, hops, etc. all at Wheels, Wings, and Hobbies on the strip in Mandan. If the brewing process is intimidating I would start off with an extract kit. Then by all means work your way up to partial mash and then All Grain.

Jeff at the hobby shop (when he is not to busy) can definately answer questions you may have and also The Mashers will definately help out as well on here & at the meetings if you wish to show. Also Youtube has TONS of brewing videos to help out as well.

The cans you ask about are just extracts. Some are prehopped and some are not. All depends on what you get. I suggest going to the hobby shop and see what Jeff has for you in kits and/or make your own kit.

Hope this helps you some! drunken

Back to top Go down
twinsboy16

twinsboy16

PostSubject: New to the brewing world!   New to the brewing world! EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 7:47 pm

I recently bought all the equipment needed to brew 5 gal of beer from a neighbor who is moving. I know nothing about brewing beer but am excited about giving it a shot! I have researched online and am starting to understand the process.

I don’t know where to get the ingredients. Where do you get the ingredients need for a 5 gal batch? Is there a place in Bis/Man?

My neighbor also said it would be smart to buy the cans (said they look like a Hi-C can) that have the ingredients mixed to start. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to the brewing world!   New to the brewing world! Empty

Back to top Go down

New to the brewing world!
Page 1 of 1