Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Multigrain Session Beer

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
permo

permo

Multigrain Session Beer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Multigrain Session Beer   Multigrain Session Beer EmptyThu May 12, 2011 8:33 am

Mike Philleo wrote:
permo wrote:
Have you used the Pale Chocolate Malt much? I agree with you that it takes time for chocolate to mellow out, especially in conjunction with the not so subtle flavor of special B.

Part of me said just add black patent until I hit 18-19 SRM.....

Where do you get light roasted barley? That sounds nice
I've really only used standard chocolate malt, chocolate wheat and chocolate rye so far. Maybe I'm just picky, but when I taste chocolate malt in lighter beers (both alcohol and grain bill), it picks up as a tinny, metallic note for me. Now if you're just looking for color, by all means, you might want to just use debittered black - you wouldn't need very much at all.

So far, I've only found Briess light roasted barley at Midwest Supplies, though I'm sure Jeff could obtain it for you. I just checked their site and it's still in stock, checking in at a solid 296 lovibond. A dab will do you just fine.

Just found it where I get my grain (brewmasterswarehouse), gonna have to give it a shot!
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Multigrain Session Beer   Multigrain Session Beer EmptyWed May 11, 2011 10:09 pm

permo wrote:
Have you used the Pale Chocolate Malt much? I agree with you that it takes time for chocolate to mellow out, especially in conjunction with the not so subtle flavor of special B.

I've really only used standard chocolate malt, chocolate wheat and chocolate rye so far. Maybe I'm just picky, but when I taste chocolate malt in lighter beers (both alcohol and grain bill), it picks up as a tinny, metallic note for me. Now if you're just looking for color, by all means, you might want to just use debittered black - you wouldn't need very much at all.

So far, I've only found Briess light roasted barley at Midwest Supplies, though I'm sure Jeff could obtain it for you. I just checked their site and it's still in stock, checking in at a solid 296 lovibond. A dab will do you just fine.
Back to top Go down
permo

permo

PostSubject: Re: Multigrain Session Beer   Multigrain Session Beer EmptyWed May 11, 2011 9:19 pm

Mike Philleo wrote:
permo wrote:
I am a little torn on weather to use regular chocolate malt, and increased amount of pale chocolate or roasted barley.
Based on your recipe, I think that light roasted barley (or a smaller amount of regular roasted barley), would better complement your use of Special B than chocolate would. I've found that the flavor contributed by light roasted barley is rather smooth and pleasant when used with the right grain bill. When I've used chocolate in similar recipes, it has a tendency to stick out more in the flavor, at least when the beer is younger. And since session beers are typically intended to be consumed within a few weeks, you may not want to undergo the aging necessary to obtain smooth flavor.

Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Multigrain Session Beer   Multigrain Session Beer EmptyWed May 11, 2011 4:15 pm

permo wrote:
I am a little torn on weather to use regular chocolate malt, and increased amount of pale chocolate or roasted barley.
Based on your recipe, I think that light roasted barley (or a smaller amount of regular roasted barley), would better complement your use of Special B than chocolate would. I've found that the flavor contributed by light roasted barley is rather smooth and pleasant when used with the right grain bill. When I've used chocolate in similar recipes, it has a tendency to stick out more in the flavor, at least when the beer is younger. And since session beers are typically intended to be consumed within a few weeks, you may not want to undergo the aging necessary to obtain smooth flavor.
Back to top Go down
permo

permo

PostSubject: Re: Multigrain Session Beer   Multigrain Session Beer EmptyWed May 11, 2011 3:20 pm

mike frohlich wrote:
has the potential for lots of complexity in the malt flavor.

That is what I figured, I went with a pilsen/munich base for that nice malty/breadiness that is apparent in some beers. I am a little torn on weather to use regular chocolate malt, and increased amount of pale chocolate or roasted barley.
Back to top Go down
permo

permo

PostSubject: Re: Multigrain Session Beer   Multigrain Session Beer EmptyWed May 11, 2011 3:17 pm

dkwandt wrote:
never used carahell before, tell me how it has worked for you.

I use it a lot, I find it to be a great companion to munich and gives a nice malty/caramel flavor. If I have recipes that I would usually use C20 or something for, I sub carahell...it seems to have a little something extra. It is really good in my dead guy/maibock ale that I make.
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: Multigrain Session Beer   Multigrain Session Beer EmptyWed May 11, 2011 2:24 pm

never used carahell before, tell me how it has worked for you.
Back to top Go down
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

PostSubject: Re: Multigrain Session Beer   Multigrain Session Beer EmptyWed May 11, 2011 1:15 pm

has the potential for lots of complexity in the malt flavor.
Back to top Go down
permo

permo

PostSubject: Multigrain Session Beer   Multigrain Session Beer EmptyWed May 11, 2011 9:42 am

I have been brainstorming a recipe for a session beer. One that is loaded with grain/malt flavor and also has some deep raisiny/plum and roasted character. Lightly hopped with willamete and about %5 abv. Check this out

5 gallon batch

7# pilsen
1# munich
½ pound wheat
½ pound carahell
½ pound rye
½ pound special B
¼ pound chocolate malt
WLP029 (German Ale)
1 oz willamete at 90
1 oz willamete at 15
1 oz willamete at 2
Mash at 153
Ferment at 65-67

What do you think? Just trying to start some conversation on the boards!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Multigrain Session Beer   Multigrain Session Beer Empty

Back to top Go down

Multigrain Session Beer
Page 1 of 1