Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Biere de Garde Recipe/Club Barrel Aging Announcement & Sign Up

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

Biere de Garde Recipe/Club Barrel Aging Announcement & Sign Up Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biere de Garde Recipe/Club Barrel Aging Announcement & Sign Up   Biere de Garde Recipe/Club Barrel Aging Announcement & Sign Up EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 9:14 am

Rocky Stoltz wrote:
Mike Philleo wrote:
I did, for sake of authenticity, but you don't have to. A 90 minute should be fine.
I was informed you may be looking for willing participants to help fill the barrel. I'm in if there is still room.
I trie the sign up form but it was no longer avalable...I am assuming you may have met your quota.

Hey Rocky,

Ryan said you wanted in so he took care of your order.
Back to top Go down
http://www.muddyrivermashers.com
Rocky Stoltz

Rocky Stoltz

PostSubject: Looks like fun!   Biere de Garde Recipe/Club Barrel Aging Announcement & Sign Up EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 7:58 pm

Mike Philleo wrote:
I did, for sake of authenticity, but you don't have to. A 90 minute should be fine.
I was informed you may be looking for willing participants to help fill the barrel. I'm in if there is still room.
I trie the sign up form but it was no longer avalable...I am assuming you may have met your quota.
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Biere de Garde Recipe/Club Barrel Aging Announcement & Sign Up   Biere de Garde Recipe/Club Barrel Aging Announcement & Sign Up EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:24 pm

Back to top Go down
Igraf

Igraf

PostSubject: Re: Biere de Garde Recipe/Club Barrel Aging Announcement & Sign Up   Biere de Garde Recipe/Club Barrel Aging Announcement & Sign Up EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:02 pm

Do you really boil 3 hours?
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Biere de Garde Recipe/Club Barrel Aging Announcement & Sign Up   Biere de Garde Recipe/Club Barrel Aging Announcement & Sign Up EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 11:32 am

There's a sign up link between the end of my wall of text and the first pictures of the barrel on my first post. Let me know if you find it okay!
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: Biere de Garde Recipe/Club Barrel Aging Announcement & Sign Up   Biere de Garde Recipe/Club Barrel Aging Announcement & Sign Up EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 am

Sign up is live, please fill out the form as soon as you can. We will be doing 5 gallon brew spots, until full, or until the sign up date runs out (April 24th).If we don't fill all the space by that time, any interested folks can sign up to do 10 gallon batches.
Back to top Go down
http://www.muddyrivermashers.com
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Biere de Garde Recipe/Club Barrel Aging Announcement & Sign Up   Biere de Garde Recipe/Club Barrel Aging Announcement & Sign Up EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 10:18 am

There's going to be an online form to submit, which Randi is working on and will be live shortly. Once we get enough sign-ups, we'll probably post a list of brewers and their amounts to be provided. As far as ingredients go, we don't have any plans for a club bulk order for everything unless necessary, but we may order in a bag of 6 row since most people don't keep that on hand.
Back to top Go down
Michaeljeffreythomas

Michaeljeffreythomas

PostSubject: Re: Biere de Garde Recipe/Club Barrel Aging Announcement & Sign Up   Biere de Garde Recipe/Club Barrel Aging Announcement & Sign Up EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 10:14 am

Are we going to buy bulk supplies and just pay the club back?

Is there a list of brewers?

I am in for 10 Gallons if there is room.
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Biere de Garde Recipe/Club Barrel Aging Announcement & Sign Up   Biere de Garde Recipe/Club Barrel Aging Announcement & Sign Up EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:31 am

We've gotten the recipe together for our club's first barrel aged brew activity. Some of you may have noticed that Randi finished the barrel stand and it has passed the water weight test with flying colors (see pictures below). Also, when we took the bung plug out, it smelled absolutely amazing! The sign up form to participate in the barrel brew is at the bottom of the post, so don't forget to fill it out! It's first come first serve. Fill out the form as soon as you can (before April 24th). Anyway, if there's anyone who wants to start their brew early or just study the recipe or make adjustments, get ingredients and so forth, here is the Biere de Garde recipe, formatted from BeerSmith:

Fleur de Lis Biere de Garde Speciale - All Grain Recipe

---Recipe Specifications-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 12.0 SRM SRM RANGE: 6.0-19.0 SRM
IBU: 23.7 IBUs IBU RANGE: 18.0-28.0 IBUs
OG: 1.060 SG OG RANGE: 1.060-1.080 SG
FG: 1.006 SG FG RANGE: 1.008-1.016 SG
BU:GU: 0.396 Est ABV: 7.0 %
EE%: 75.00 % Batch: 5.50 gal Boil: 7.84 gal BT: 180 Mins

---Grain Bill----------------

Amt Name Grist Percentage
6 lbs Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 50.0 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Munich (Dingemans) (5.5 SRM) 10.4 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Red Wheat (3.0 SRM) 10.4 %
12.0 oz Aromatic Malt (Briess) (20.0 SRM) 6.3 %
12.0 oz Corn - Yellow, Flaked (Briess) (1.3 SRM) 6.3 %
12.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) 6.3 %
4.0 oz Belgian Caravienne (3.0 SRM) 2.1 %

Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs Total Hops: 3.00 oz oz.
MASH PH:5.40 ------

---Sparge Process---
Fly sparge with 3.52 gal water at 168.0 F

---Boil Process-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.042 SG Est OG: 1.060 SG
Amt Name %/IBU
1 lb (Optional) Candi Sugar, Amber (75.0 SRM) 8.3 %
1.00 oz Brewer's Gold [5.00 %] - Boil Hop 14.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Strisselspalt [2.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Strisselspalt [2.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 3.4 IBUs

---Fermentation Process-----------------------------
10.00 Days at 72.0 F
Secondary 6 days at room temperature (66.0-72.0 F)

Typically, this recipe and style calls for Wyeast 3725 Biere de Garde yeast. I have 3 packets and am willing to make an oversized community starter if need be. This will allow interested participants to take some starter home with them to cultivate into a sufficient cell count for themselves. Otherwise, please refer to the yeast substitute page here: http://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_styledetails.cfm?ID=177

In order for our participants to complete their brews on time for the June 6th barrel fill date, we recommend the beer be brewed between May 1st and May 11th. The filling event will be at the Philleo household, coinciding with the June meeting, so please be there. We plan to fill the entirety of the barrel at one time, so we can't make alternative meeting arrangements. However, you may have another member you know is attending bring your completed beer if necessary. If anyone has difficulties with the ingredients in this recipe, you may contact me anytime for suggested substitutes if you aren't sure which approach you'd like to take. Partial mash and extract version of this recipe can be provided as necessary, too.

Finally, our goal is to have a 5 gallon keg of this beer available at the Oktoberfest this year. When you fill out the sign up form make sure you note if you are willing to contribute a little extra for this. Furthermore, anyone who is participating in this brew may also opt to have a small amount (i.e. .5-1 gallon) to contribute toward a 5 gallon total that will be aged as a sour Biere de Garde in my smaller sour barrel. Please note this as well when you sign up. I will post the totals needed for contribution once all the signups are complete. If you have any questions regarding any of this, please post them here. Thank you all in advance for your participation!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Biere de Garde Recipe/Club Barrel Aging Announcement & Sign Up   Biere de Garde Recipe/Club Barrel Aging Announcement & Sign Up Empty

Back to top Go down

Biere de Garde Recipe/Club Barrel Aging Announcement & Sign Up
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Muddy River Mashers :: Meetings & Events-
Jump to: