A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  CalendarCalendar  Calendar  FAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Share | 

Hop Rhizomes

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Igraf

PostSubject: Re: Hop Rhizomes    Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:33 pm

I bought some last year and just pot planted them. There are two williamette and two cascade. I put mulch on top of the pots before winter so they should be ok. If anybody wants then they can have them.
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: Hop Rhizomes    Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:30 am

i should have remembered, i already preordered mine.
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hop Rhizomes    Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:17 am

They do enjoy fences! I have ours at the base of the deck, so they get a good 9 feet of trellis, after that, they just climb all over the railing.

I think we've ordered hops the past 3 years now. Last year the group ordered over 100 rhizomes total! That's why I figured there probably wouldn't be much of an order this year if at all.

That being said, if anyone has hop plants that are over 3 years old, you can harvest rhizomes from them. So, if you want to share/sell them, once you can get through the ground of coarse, feel free to post and share here.

I gotta do a little plug for a brewer up in Hatton, ND. If you have hops returning and you want a nice way to mark them , check out hopmarkers.com.

Bandersesk

PostSubject: already ordered   Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:43 am

I didn't realize there may be a group order; I ordered two Centennial rhizomes from Midwest. Mulling over possible locations in the backyard. Rather than going forty feet up, I'll run them along a fence.

Ted
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin

PostSubject: Hop Rhizomes    Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:43 pm

Is there enough interest to do a hop rhizome order this year? Does anyone have rhizomes they want to clip from existing plant's to share?

We had really big orders the last few years, so I would imagine that there's probably not going to be many people ordering this year... unless we're all really bad gardeners. Anyways, unless there's a resounding response to ordering group rhizomes, we'll probably pass. I will however list some places we've ordered with before, as many of them are already taking pre-orders.

Arrowhead Hops
Midwest Supplies
Northern Brewer
MoreBeer
The Grape and Granary

A few things to note before you order rhizomes:

• Have a suitable location, with trellis and a good amount of water and sun.
  • They grow quick and spread wide.
  • Once they are established in a location, don't plan on moving them.
  • They come back every year and can have productive lifespans of over 60 years.
  • Once dried, the cones are great to use in homebrew.
  • The vines should be cut down to the ground every fall.
  • Hop vines are very pretty, and smell wonderful, they are a little scratchy, so try to keep them away from areas that you
  • might brush up against or where kids play.
  • Hops are poisonous to dogs. If you've got a dog that's a chewer or a digger, make sure they can't get into your hop vines.

Last edited by randi philleo on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added another store)
Back to top Go down
http://www.muddyrivermashers.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hop Rhizomes    

Back to top Go down

Hop Rhizomes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Muddy River Mashers :: General Discussion-
Jump to: