A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  CalendarCalendar  Calendar  FAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Share | 

Comparison

Go down 
AuthorMessage
dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: Comparison    Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:28 am

Dean I agree they should not be using their opinion, however i get more opinions than comparison to the style when I receive my comments back. I do prefer the ones that add both, I have had one actually say my beer was one of the best beers he had all weekend, but thought it was too boarder line for the style I entered it into. overall I think the judges try their best, NOT A JOB I WANT.

shipping is the fun part I would say you will need to be creative in packaging and labeling. you can send the beer legally for competition, but do not try to tell that to whoever is shipping it for you. you are best to tell them you are sending a live or liquid yeast sample for evaluation. I have had no trouble sending it that way. yes shipping can affect the beer but I think I would be more concerned with a super clean beers American lager, light lager, something that really is glaring if something is off.
Back to top Go down
Dean Gundberg

PostSubject: Re: Comparison    Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:08 pm

In a competition, the judges should not be using their opinion, the beer should be judged against the guidelines and the result should as objective as possible. With that though, some competitions are better than others and have judges with more experience.

Shipping a beer can effect the flavor so usually local competions are preferred as you can drop off the beers yourself to the competion or at a drop off point where the competion will pick it up so no third parties to deal with.

The Prairie Homebrewers in Fargo have a big competition each October, Hoppy Halloween and do an AHA All Club every couple of years (no sure what and when the next is as we did meads last year) so watch that. Rapid City has a competion coming up this summer.
Back to top Go down
http://prairiehomebrewers.org
Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Comparison    Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:05 pm

I agree with Randi on that one. The responses I got back from BJCP judges were fairly inconsistent. The only real benefit was a couple of nuggets of input regarding recipe or process. I'm probably going to catch flak for this, and I do think the BJCP certification program is certainly rigorous enough, but putting too much stock into any one person's opinion can be risky. It's sort of like going to a therapist and taking their input as gospel truth, instead of weighing their input against your own experience and a grain of salt. I mean, that's how everyone is...right? Smile Anyway, you can certainly entrust your bottles to the "delicate" hands of the shippers available or you could just bring a bottle to meeting and save yourself the postage!
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Comparison    Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:09 pm

The next Club only AHA competition for Porters won't be until May 2014.

There are a bunch of non - club competitions available. Check out the BJCP Competition Schedule. Maybe look into Homebrew @ the W.E.B, Brew Masters Competition, or March Mashness as those are all coming up in the next month.

A bit of advice on competitions, as fun as they are, take it with a grain of salt. The BJCP does a great job training people, but it's really all subjective. I've had the same beer get rave reviews at one competition and then just slammed at the next. The best reviews are from yourself.

lwald

PostSubject: Comparison    Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:16 pm

I got a porter. And I want to put in in a comp. how to I get it in one how do I mail it and where is ther
One for that style
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Comparison    

Back to top Go down

Comparison
Page 1 of 1