Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

the brew of the month

Go down 
+2
JaymeG
dkwandt
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Beer Dealer

Beer Dealer

the brew of the month Empty
PostSubject: Re: the brew of the month   the brew of the month EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 11:08 am

just get it from midwest as we dont want any hard feelings from the officers....not a problem...Jeff
Back to top Go down
http://www.wwnh.net
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

PostSubject: Re: the brew of the month   the brew of the month EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 4:40 pm

The one issue I would have going with the local shops is I've had a difficult time getting basic ingredients at both, often times having the products on order, and coming back on Tuesday, then Friday, then the following Tuesday, and not having my items available.

It's been a big enough headache for me that I have gone back to purchasing large quantities of supplies from Midwest, because of reliability. I prefer to buy products from Jeff, but when he doesn't have 2-row for a month or more, I'm concerned that a beer of the month kit, will require more attention to detail than that.

Just my 2 cents. And BTW... I'm heading over to purchase some wheat today from Jeff.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: the brew of the month   the brew of the month EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 6:58 pm

There is definately a huge convenience factor with Midwest that I think would be a great benefit and I think we should go through them for the kits especially after their large donation.

However, I do completely beleive in the idea of supporting our local shops. So my thought on the matter is we use midwest for the kits, and for our big club brewing events(Big brew day, teach a friend to brew day, hopluck, st. patty's brew, Oktoberfest, and what ever other ones) that we exclusively use our local shops for supplies. Our event brews are usually 10 gallon batches compared to the 5 gallon kits. That way we share the support of all of our suppliers and split it up so the club spreads out its business and keeps it pretty equal to everyone.
Back to top Go down
http://edelzer@hotmail.com
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: the brew of the month   the brew of the month EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 4:42 pm

I think they put the recipe on the box, don't they?

The main factor for looking at Midwest's Kit of the Month Club, aside from the ease and their large donation to Oktoberfest, was that they are pretty reasonable. Plus, they are willing to give them to us with the 5% AHA discount.

I don't have a problem buying locally, but we'd have to set up all our brews for the year and designate someone to put together those kits as needed. That's not something I have the time to do. For me, its really about the convenience, though I know that's probably not the best reason.
Back to top Go down
http://www.muddyrivermashers.com
JaymeG

JaymeG

PostSubject: Re: the brew of the month   the brew of the month EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 4:33 pm

I hope we get more people to weigh in on this. There are great points on this topic! Hopefully we get some more thoughts and then we bring this up in our meeting. cheers

I am not 100% on my thoughts. I can be pushed the other way as well. Wink
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: the brew of the month   the brew of the month EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 4:30 pm

i noticed they don't give recipies either, however northern brewer does. and so does brew smith so if we just agree to do the style brew smith or northern brewer have the recipe.

i agree any way to cut out deliberating (on the little stuff) , i am all for it. get to the brewing and the drinking!

by the way i love the idea of duing a brew every month, but for the sanity of who ever has the kegerator, i suggest getting tap handles on one of them (the mess from picnic taps drives me crazy!)
Back to top Go down
JaymeG

JaymeG

PostSubject: Re: the brew of the month   the brew of the month EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 4:19 pm

No worries.... I didn't take it that way. I was just reassuring that there are no hard feelings.

Midwest does show what the brew of the month is but they no longer show the recipes. So then we would have to deliberate every 1st meeting of the month on what our recipe would be. I'm just looking for simplicity and less deliberation. That's my thoughts.

I have no issue supporting Jeff at all. This just makes things simple is all.
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: the brew of the month   the brew of the month EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 4:12 pm

ok, i think i must have come across wrong, on both my posts. i am not accusing ANYONE or suggesting to anyone that we don't support or like Jeff. so if i can across like that i am truely sorry. I know that is not the case.

with regards to the brew of the month, they post the brew of the month so there still is not any sweating over the recipe. and again we have 2 brew shops, i shop at both of them.

sorry if i again if i offended anyone this is not at all my intention. just a question.
Back to top Go down
JaymeG

JaymeG

PostSubject: Re: the brew of the month   the brew of the month EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 3:54 pm

My only reason for Midwest's "brew of the month" is so we aren't going through a big deliberation on what we are going to brew every month. This way it is decided for us and no worries.

99% of my buisness goes to Jeff. I do support him with my brews.
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: the brew of the month   the brew of the month EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 3:20 pm

i would like to supply a motion or request. if we choose to do the brew of the month idea suggested we do so by supporting one of our local brew shops rather then supporting Midwest. i don't care if it is vintners or WWnH, i think it would be better to have one of them build the kit to what ever beer you want i am sure they would be more than happy to help the club out in this way.

would love to hear a reason why we would rather not support one of our local shops for this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the brew of the month   the brew of the month Empty

Back to top Go down

the brew of the month
Page 1 of 1