Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Peaches anyone?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Peaches anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peaches anyone?   Peaches anyone? EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 3:07 pm

I read about a peach wheat beer not that long ago but I can't remember who made it. I beleive it was some little brewpub in the midwest somewhere, but anyway they used a peach puree to prime and bottle condition. It might be a good experiment to bottle a couple and try it. I thought it was a pretty interesting concept, especially with that combination since a wheat is hazy anyway. That's the first time I ever heard of using fruit to prime.

And I know you like to experiment
Back to top Go down
http://edelzer@hotmail.com
ted hoffman

ted hoffman

Peaches anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peaches anyone?   Peaches anyone? EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 10:05 am

I think I tried that same peach infused beer last winter, I wanna say it was the Shiner brewery?
Back to top Go down
JaymeG

JaymeG

Peaches anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peaches anyone?   Peaches anyone? EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 12:56 pm

This fall I am planning on trying a Chokecherry Wheat if our trees produce.
Back to top Go down
JaymeG

JaymeG

Peaches anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peaches anyone?   Peaches anyone? EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 12:53 pm

lol! Yeah, I don't want a peach bomb Exclamation I just want a subtle taste and aroma. What a Face
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

Peaches anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peaches anyone?   Peaches anyone? EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 12:50 pm

LOL! Rock on!

I think I'd let them warm up a bit, I've heard of folks getting "tart flavor" from putting frozen fruits directly into secondary. The real reason for freezing is just to break down the cell walls.

Or, you could try a mild pasteurization process (I know Eric did this with his oranges). Take your frozen peaches and heat with two cups of water to 160 degrees and let sit for 20 minutes. Let them come down to room temp and throw em' into secondary. 160 isn't enough to make the fruit taste cooked, but its enough to sanitize and break them down a bit.

Also, just a note, I looked it up and according to "Designing Great Beers" peaches are quite mild, duh. He suggested around 7 lbs of peaches for a 5 gallon batch. I think that might be pretty strong, but it might be good too. I think 4 to 5lbs is probably a good range for a peach beer. But what the heck do I know.
Back to top Go down
http://www.muddyrivermashers.com
JaymeG

JaymeG

Peaches anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peaches anyone?   Peaches anyone? EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 12:30 pm

I prefer fresh as well but then I can't sing the song as I'm doing it cause peaches come from a can & they were put there by a man, in a factory downtown.... Sorry I had to continue

lol!

That sounds like a good plan to me! So then when I take them out of the freezer & crush them do I let them thaw to room temp or just throw them in frozen?
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

Peaches anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peaches anyone?   Peaches anyone? EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 11:17 am

"Millions of peaches peaches for me "

Jayme already read this on FB, but I figured I'd post it on here as well.

Quote :
I always prefer fresh. That's just a nitpick of mine though. I've never used peaches, but if I were to try I'd go either fresh or frozen, and if you go fresh, freeze them for a day. Then I'd crush them and put it all in secondary. If you want to keep it clean, put it in a nylon bag in secondary. As for amount, I'd think at least 4lbs for good peach flavor. That's what I'd do, but you know those fruits, its always an interesting brew.
Back to top Go down
http://www.muddyrivermashers.com
JaymeG

JaymeG

Peaches anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Peaches anyone?   Peaches anyone? EmptyFri Jun 10, 2011 9:50 am

study I am thinking of brewing a peach wheat beer this weekend. Yet another expiriment.... Last christmas rendeer I had a beer with peach in it (I can't remember the brewery scratch ) and thought it was good but needed to be in a wheat beer. The peach was sublte and yet kinda refreshing. I think it may be a nice summer beer. I have my wheat recipe the way I want it but now I'm not sure about the peaches. Use fresh? Canned? How much? When to add?

The only fresh fruit I've used so far is Oranges & they've for the most part turned out good but also depends on the time of year for how much flavor comes out. That's why I'm debating on canned but then again in canned there is a lot of sugar added.

All suggestions appreciated!

CHEERS!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Peaches anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peaches anyone?   Peaches anyone? Empty

Back to top Go down

Peaches anyone?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Muddy River Mashers :: General Discussion-
Jump to: