Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Thoughts on my first meeting

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
permo

permo

Thoughts on my first meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on my first meeting   Thoughts on my first meeting EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 8:34 pm

Beer Dealer wrote:
mine was cenntenial as dennis used all the columbus...and mine noted 130 ibu's,,,,and we both have the recipes..mines on the store computer by the door..Jeff

Great Jeff, thanks a million. I will stop in and BS with you and grab some grain soon.
Back to top Go down
Beer Dealer

Beer Dealer

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on my first meeting   Thoughts on my first meeting EmptyFri Apr 22, 2011 10:53 am

mine was cenntenial as dennis used all the columbus...and mine noted 130 ibu's,,,,and we both have the recipes..mines on the store computer by the door..Jeff
Back to top Go down
http://www.wwnh.net
permo

permo

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on my first meeting   Thoughts on my first meeting EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 3:16 pm

dkwandt wrote:
you are so very right, there is no right way. i did not mean to say there was.

there were to hop additions 60 and 10 min, 90 min boil.

IBU's 123 ish

Nogne only count their first addition and i think it is 100-104 Ibu's

All columbus if I read the bottle correctly. Wheat, Crystal, chocolate, roasted barley..etc..etc.......

Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on my first meeting   Thoughts on my first meeting EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 1:38 pm

you are so very right, there is no right way. i did not mean to say there was.

there were to hop additions 60 and 10 min, 90 min boil.

IBU's 123 ish

Nogne only count their first addition and i think it is 100-104 Ibu's
Back to top Go down
permo

permo

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on my first meeting   Thoughts on my first meeting EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 1:22 pm

dkwandt wrote:
You seem to be trying to get all the sugars fermented. i mash at 154 for 90min. but i let the final gravity finish at .028 i don't want it to get less than that because is will loose all the body i worked so hard to get. Jeff's finished at .030 or .032; it is the only way i know of to get that mouth feel of Nogne. (it has a shit load of calories!) i also don't try to get every bit of ABV, mine is 8.5 Jeff’s is about 9.5 we were shooting for the finished product to match the Nogne, so we did not continue to pressure the yeast to convert every sugar.

not sure if that made sense or if i was just babbling, hope it helps.

That is the exact opposite approach I took with my first one. I will likely switch to a less attenuative yeast strain and also mash higher on my next. There is no right or wrong way, just different, but I enjoyed the way the higher finishing gravity accentuated the caramel flavors......

That was a single bittering addition of columbus up to about 60 IBU correct?
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on my first meeting   Thoughts on my first meeting EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 12:52 pm

You seem to be trying to get all the sugars fermented. i mash at 154 for 90min. but i let the final gravity finish at .028 i don't want it to get less than that because is will loose all the body i worked so hard to get. Jeff's finished at .030 or .032; it is the only way i know of to get that mouth feel of Nogne. (it has a shit load of calories!) i also don't try to get every bit of ABV, mine is 8.5 Jeff’s is about 9.5 we were shooting for the finished product to match the Nogne, so we did not continue to pressure the yeast to convert every sugar.

not sure if that made sense or if i was just babbling, hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
permo

permo

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on my first meeting   Thoughts on my first meeting EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 11:19 am

I had never tasted caramel flavor in a beer like the imperial stout in the back room, so I now have some inspiration to do an imperial stout again. My takes have always mashed low and had heavy, heavy doses of hops contributing to the flavor and nose quite a bit. I think mashing higher and purposely leaving some of that sweetness in the beer helps balance it out......very good beer among the 30 or so other good beers I tried...

note to self ----bring smaller tasting glass

I am looking forward to the next meeting already!
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on my first meeting   Thoughts on my first meeting EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 11:09 am

glad you guys could make the meeting. what i love about the club is how everyone has just a little different take on everything, and if you are open to listening you can learn a ton.

nice meeting you guys!
Back to top Go down
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on my first meeting   Thoughts on my first meeting EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 10:53 am

Nice to have you on board... Looking forward to chatting with you in the future! Cheers!
Back to top Go down
permo

permo

PostSubject: Thoughts on my first meeting   Thoughts on my first meeting EmptyWed Apr 20, 2011 7:44 am

It was great to meet everybody and taste so much really good beer. It's tough to find people, let alone an entire group of people, that like to talk about beer, the brewing process and ingredients as much as I do!

Thanks for the hospitality my wife and I had a great time and hope to attend regularly!

If you couldn't tell, I am fascinated with yeast strains and fermentation procedures Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on my first meeting   Thoughts on my first meeting Empty

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on my first meeting
Page 1 of 1