Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Oktoberfest Recipe Construction

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dkwandt

dkwandt

Oktoberfest Recipe Construction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oktoberfest Recipe Construction   Oktoberfest Recipe Construction EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 3:15 pm

doing a 90 min boil will drive out the DMS (cooked or canned corn flavor). which can be common flavor from pilsner malt.

looking at the recipe you might extend your mash time due to the low temp, but at 50 it could go either way.

Back to top Go down
mathwich

mathwich

PostSubject: Re: Oktoberfest Recipe Construction   Oktoberfest Recipe Construction EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 2:45 pm

Total newbie question - why would pilsner require a longer boil?
Back to top Go down
http://www.mathwichphotography.com
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: Oktoberfest Recipe Construction   Oktoberfest Recipe Construction EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 12:37 pm

my only suggestion to this recipe would be sugest a 90 min boil, because of all the pilsner malt you are using. otherwise looks good
Back to top Go down
Michaeljeffreythomas

Michaeljeffreythomas

PostSubject: Re: Oktoberfest Recipe Construction   Oktoberfest Recipe Construction EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 10:41 am

I think that looks good. I would like to do a 10 gallon brew.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Oktoberfest Recipe Construction   Oktoberfest Recipe Construction EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 12:01 am

I'll kick it off by offering this recipe I've been working on in my research and development of an oktoberfest recipe. Feel free to discuss and offer any additions or changes that might help in the develpment of a recipe for the club brew. Or post a recipe of your own and if I'm not mistaking we will be discussing and voting on the official recipe at the next meeting.

This is for a 5 gallon batch that I've been working on.

5 lbs Munich
4.5 lbs Pilsner
1.5 lbs Vienna
.75 lbs of Cara Pils or Crystal 40 depending on desired color content
.75 lbs Caramunich

1 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh- 60 min
1 oz Tettnang- 60 min
.5 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh- 5 min
.5 oz Tettnang- 5 min
(or just use plain hallertauer or norther brewer depending on preferance and/or what Jeff has available?)
I also had the thought to add like a half ounce of cascade at the end to enhance and possibly add a little american grapefruity goodness to the aroma but obviously this is non traditional to the style. I also think that maybe adding a little bit of saaz possibly to add a little more noble hop complexity.

Either an Oktoberfest yeast or I think a 2272 North American Lager would also be a good choice because of its smooth malty finish. I've seen other recipe's that use this yeast and ferment at a higher temp like around 50 degrees like a steam or a cream ale and then cold lagered for four or five months. I think this would add some of the tasty qualities and smoothness of a steam beer or a cream ale that would be really good in an oktoberfest and would compliment its maltyness of the style. My personal thought is that we should make it a 10 gallon batch and do a split batch with the two yeasts.

Back to top Go down
http://edelzer@hotmail.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oktoberfest Recipe Construction   Oktoberfest Recipe Construction Empty

Back to top Go down

Oktoberfest Recipe Construction
Page 1 of 1