Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Citra Hops

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MadisonJ

MadisonJ

Citra Hops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Citra Hops   Citra Hops EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 4:03 pm

That Whippin Post ale sounds fantastic!

I've been tyring to formulate an IPA recipe using the Citra hops as well and was thinking about combining it with some centenniels and cascades.. Sounds like Citra's at the end just to get those subtle aromas is the way to handle this specie.....

Thanks!
Back to top Go down

Citra Hops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Citra Hops   Citra Hops EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 12:11 pm

Definitely too expensive and too hard to find (in large quantities) to use as a bittering hop. I have 300# and it wasn't easy to track down.

Very crazy citrus... Personally I think its a bit like cooking with bacon and white truffle oil. It is almost impossible to make a bad beer using Citra.
Back to top Go down
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

Citra Hops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Citra Hops   Citra Hops EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 12:03 pm

My impressions of the hop are this: Very bright and clean citrus flavor that is hard to achieve with other hops. It's more on the orange citrus side vs any grapefruit or mango/passion fruit flavors. I use it in my Whippin Post Pale Ale with good results. I don't like to use it as a bittering or flavoring hop, just as an aroma hop with a 15 or 20 minute addition, and then a whirlpool addition.

I like the hop, but only as a late kettle addition. I didn't like it in the dry hop either, as it was a bit harsher than I wanted, so I use Amarillo in the dry hop on that beer.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

Citra Hops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Citra Hops   Citra Hops EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 11:19 pm

A handful of our members have used citra hops, particularly in their IPAs. I've used them in my amber and red ales and find that they do impart a citrusy, tropical flavor which particularly comes through in the aroma. Everyone has a different approach to using them, and I prefer to use them during within the last 15 minutes of the boil or at flameout, to maximize flavor and aroma respectively. Due to alpha acid typically in the teens, you can use it for all purposes, including bittering, but it works as well, or better, in the latter part of the boil.
Back to top Go down
MadisonJ

MadisonJ

Citra Hops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Citra Hops   Citra Hops EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 10:48 pm

Just curious as to how everyones brews turned out using the Citra Hops and if that peachy/orange/mango character was achieved..

Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

Citra Hops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Citra Hops   Citra Hops EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 8:12 am

sounds good to me! hope to meet you soon!
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

Citra Hops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Citra Hops   Citra Hops EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 9:09 pm

motorcyclelvr77 wrote:
I just brewed up an American Light Ale with some summer fruit & citra hopps. I am looking forward to tasting it. It should be ready for tasting about the same time I get back to working days, then I can drop it by a meeting.... that's if it's ok! What a Face
I think that can be arranged. No arguments here! Everyone is welcome to stop by. If they have beer, that's just a bonus.
Back to top Go down
JaymeG

JaymeG

Citra Hops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Citra Hops   Citra Hops EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 3:54 pm

I just brewed up an American Light Ale with some summer fruit & citra hopps. I am looking forward to tasting it. It should be ready for tasting about the same time I get back to working days, then I can drop it by a meeting.... that's if it's ok! What a Face
Back to top Go down

Citra Hops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Citra Hops   Citra Hops EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 1:53 pm

Small update:

I have a ton of Citra on hand now. I'll be doing quite a bit of testing with it starting in 2 weeks.
Back to top Go down

Citra Hops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Citra Hops   Citra Hops EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 12:37 pm

Awesome, can't wait to hear your impressions.

I'd like to try some things with it in a couple months, so the timing works out pretty well for me.
Back to top Go down
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

Citra Hops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Citra Hops   Citra Hops EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 10:21 am

I just received a shipment from them 2 days ago.

8oz of Citra Hops
8oz of Riwaka Hops (New Zealand)
8oz of Amarillo Hops

I will be creating a special IPA with these, sort of a citrus, passion fruit, Hop Bomb! Mmmmmm. I'll be bringing it by the club sometime, but it's not on the brewing schedule for a couple of weeks. I have 3 or 4 beers lined up before that one. Should be delicious, and very summery.
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

Citra Hops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Citra Hops   Citra Hops EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 12:33 am

I know Mike Frohlich is always in pursuit of a more citrusy, hoppy IPA and had looked into Citras. Unfortunately, I don't think he got them due the limited availability at the Rebel Homebrew shop. Here's their listing, and it is the cheapest:

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Citra-Hops-%28US%29-%252d-1oz.-Whole.html
Back to top Go down

Citra Hops Empty
PostSubject: Citra Hops   Citra Hops EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 10:59 pm

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I'm still sort of feeling out the board structure.

Does anyone have any experience with "Citra Hops"?

I'm looking at doing some experimenting, but would like to hear if anyone has opinions of their own.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Citra Hops Empty
PostSubject: Re: Citra Hops   Citra Hops Empty

Back to top Go down

Citra Hops
Page 1 of 1