Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

First All Grain Brew

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Beer Dealer

Beer Dealer

First All Grain Brew Empty
PostSubject: Re: First All Grain Brew   First All Grain Brew EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 3:43 pm

my math says good job at 81 %.....preboil at 1.054 and final og at 1.61..
Back to top Go down
http://www.wwnh.net
buckhntr2

buckhntr2

PostSubject: Re: First All Grain Brew   First All Grain Brew EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 3:29 pm

10 # Vienna
1 # Carapils
0.5 # Caramal 20L
0.25 # Roasted Barley
1 oz Fuggles 60 minutes
1 oz Kent Goldings 8 minutes

Before Boil, 6.25 Gallons OG: 1.055
After Boil, 5.5 Gallons SG: 1.061

See what you guys come up with for an efficiency rate, i used various programs and i came up with 84%.
Back to top Go down
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

PostSubject: Re: First All Grain Brew   First All Grain Brew EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 11:44 am

I do 10 gallon batches, and fly sparge. My system is a single tier system that runs on 2 March pumps. I would shoot for 1qt/minute rate of transfer to your boil kettle. I sparge at 174-176F. My efficiency is 82% consistently over the last 20 batches or so. (I brew a lot).

During your sparge, you want to keep the same flow rate (as said earlier) as your transfer rate to the kettle. I keep 1-2 "
of water over my grain bed, and half way through, I take my mash paddle, and run it through the grain bed, making an X. Key to this is not to disturb the bottom couple inches of the bed, as this is acting as your filter to the kettle. This way, you make sure to get all the residual sugars out. Many times peoples sparge arms create channels through your wort, which limits the efficiency of your malt.

Hope this helps. Most of this stuff is said below, but wanted to add my 2 cents worth. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: First All Grain Brew   First All Grain Brew EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 11:57 pm

hell Jeff and i would have invited you, we brewed Sunday night, currently i am in the first 15 of my 2nd batch boil! i brew an IPA for my first recipe, and i am doing my blond (will eventually be a strawberry blond) try in different yeasts, just to see which i like best.
Back to top Go down
Beer Dealer

Beer Dealer

PostSubject: Re: First All Grain Brew   First All Grain Brew EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 10:51 pm

Good luck with the fermentation of your first AG//to comment on a few of the responses...When Ty said to put in what you take out..most do about 1 qt per minute..and when dennis said keep about an inch above bed it again refers to what Ty said "put in what you take out" which is whatever speed you are draining at{see above}....the temp you asked for the flow should be what Ty said, 168-170...now i myself use RIMS {recurculating mash}and when i do ten gallon batchesi many times dont have enough room to add enough hot water to mash out from the HLT..so i add some at boiling and heat at the same time to achieve the 168 mash out temp to help rinse the grains of the last of the sugars...now you dont have to do mashout with the current highly modified grains, as many just add the sparge water at specified temp to rinse..so many methods to do things ya know.......i dont get 85% and many that do may have wrong formula{not saying anyone here, as i'm sure you know} ///If you want to make sure of your efficeincy you can post your grain bill and pre boil OG and starting gallons boiled and ending gallons for fermentor and final OG...that way others can verify your math..the method of sparging does have an effect on the final product but its just one of the FEW that makes the result!! Exclamation
. and if you want to see others brew just ask when next brews are and many members will invite if your not shy...Jeff
Back to top Go down
http://www.wwnh.net
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: First All Grain Brew   First All Grain Brew EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 8:02 pm

sounds great, congratulations!
Back to top Go down
buckhntr2

buckhntr2

PostSubject: Re: First All Grain Brew   First All Grain Brew EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 5:29 pm

Well, Just ended the fly sparge on my first all grain and it calculated to be about 84% efficiency. Looks pretty good to me, it took about 1.5 hours to fly sparge at a pretty slow rate. What do you think? Made up an irish red recipe guess i will find out what it tastes like.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First All Grain Brew   First All Grain Brew EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 2:59 pm

You'd probably call it batch sparging if anything.

I use a HERMS and then completely drain the wort. Add a second batch of heated water, recirculate for 15 minutes, and drain again.

I don't do it on a continuous basis so that I can go watch football (or whatever else) in between.

The "big" system will be another story, but there is a bit more on the line too ;-)
Back to top Go down
buckhntr2

buckhntr2

PostSubject: Re: First All Grain Brew   First All Grain Brew EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 8:22 am

What do you mean by single infusion single wash? Do you fly sparge?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First All Grain Brew   First All Grain Brew EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 4:08 am

My advise is not to over think the whole thing.

Fly sparging is nice if you are looking to squeeze every ounce of sugar out of the mash, but for home brewing it is more important to be consistent (so you can accurately judge your OG, and subsequently your hop adds). I'd rather be consistently at 75% and enjoy the process rather than squeeze out another 15% and bore myself with the details.

The costs associated with home brewing just aren't on a scale that make the extra work beneficial.

For 6-gallon batches I am able to get 82-83% efficiency using a single infusion and a single wash (and that is using a 149°F lauter temp).
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: First All Grain Brew   First All Grain Brew EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 10:55 am

ideally tyler is correct, and it does require more babysitting because the flow speed will change through out the mash. keep some space i would shoot for 1" above the grain bed, but if you disturb it too much maybe increase it to 2".

for me ideal mash temp for a blonde is 154, but anything between 153-156 is really good for that style. max temp for your sparge water 169.

all of this is my opinion of course, and if i can help at all let me know.
Back to top Go down
Tyler

Tyler

PostSubject: Re: First All Grain Brew   First All Grain Brew EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 10:15 am

When fly-sparging, you'd ideally sparge in at exactly the same speed you run out ideally reaching your full volume somewhere between 60 and 90 minutes.

If I were brewing a blonde ale, I'd mash around 153 so you'll have to heat your strike water up to a number of degrees above that to equalize the hot water with the room-temp grains. The grain-to-water ratio you want to work with will also have a part to play in determining your mash water temp. I'd suggest a water-to-grist ratio of 1.25 quarts-per-pound of grain. Strike water temps can be calculated here: http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

I'm not exactly sure how hot your sparge water should be when fly sparging. I'd think you'd want to be close to 170º but not over. I'd say heat your water to 168º.

Of course, these are just my opinions. I don't fly-sparge because it's a bit more babysitting than I want to do so I might not be the best source of fly-sparging info. Do a little internet search engine action and see what you can find. There's a lot of homebrewing info out there floating around the internet.
Back to top Go down
buckhntr2

buckhntr2

PostSubject: Re: First All Grain Brew   First All Grain Brew EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 5:16 pm

I am doing 5 gallon batches using a cooler settup, i ordered a blonde ale and a cream ale. I am sure i wouldnt be able to beat their prices but i have been pretty happy with their kits so far and i will go to wwnh for my ingredients from here on out.
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: First All Grain Brew   First All Grain Brew EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 5:09 pm

i sparge as needed, i try to keep water from 1-2" above the bed. as for temps it veries with each style, tell me the style you are thinking of getting and i can have a better idea of mash temps. are you doing 5 gallon batches? not sure where you live, but you would be hard pressed to beat WWnH's prices if you are in bismarck or mandan.
Back to top Go down
buckhntr2

buckhntr2

PostSubject: First All Grain Brew   First All Grain Brew EmptyWed Dec 29, 2010 4:28 pm

I am getting all rigged up to do all grain. I made a home made fly sparge arm that spins with gravity. I am wondering at what rate most of you fly sparge, temperatures of your mash and sparge water? I just ordered a couple all grain kits from midwest to try for the first couple times to get the hang of it before i made my own recipe. Any info would be great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First All Grain Brew   First All Grain Brew Empty

Back to top Go down

First All Grain Brew
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Muddy River Mashers :: Brewing Questions-
Jump to: