Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

high-adjunct mashes.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

high-adjunct mashes. Empty
PostSubject: Re: high-adjunct mashes.    high-adjunct mashes. EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 3:27 pm

That's right. 6 row has a higher protein content but also a greater amount of diastatic (enzymatic) power. It can help things like unmalted adjuncts, corn, oats, rye, carmel malts and things of that nature make a more compete conversion of starches to fermentable sugar. I've actually experimented with it (have a sack of my own 6 row) and use a couple pounds of it per 6-8 lbs of pale 2 row to allow for some of my less-modified malts better conversion. The bonus is that you need less grain to get a comparable amount of fermentables than you otherwise would. The drawbacks are that it can provide a huskier flavor (almost imperceptible) and can cause chill haze without extensive filtering or clarifying agents.
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

high-adjunct mashes. Empty
PostSubject: high-adjunct mashes.    high-adjunct mashes. EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 11:05 am

i tried brewiski, no luck googling di not really explain it.

what i was doing was reviewing base malts, i read this in a 6 row malt it said great for high adjunct mashes?
Back to top Go down

high-adjunct mashes.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Muddy River Mashers :: General Discussion-
Jump to: