Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Oregon is banning home brew competitions?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Oregon is banning home brew competitions? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oregon is banning home brew competitions?   Oregon is banning home brew competitions? EmptySat Sep 04, 2010 2:47 am

I should have addressed a reply to this much sooner, but:

This law isn't new, it just happens that Deschutes was asked to sponsor an event at their state fair, and started asking some questions and before you know it the state lawyers were crapping their pants about the correct interpretation of the law.

This law will be amended during the next session and things will be back to normal next year.
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: Oregon is banning home brew competitions?   Oregon is banning home brew competitions? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 2:37 pm

I think the reason Oregon is picking on homebrew is due to a severe tax deficit. They had attempted to pass some controversial legislation (not sure if it passed) that increased the taxation on beer sold in the state by something ludicrous, like 200% or 2,000%. As you may know they're home to a lot of craft breweries, so it was a mystery why they were taking such a neo-prohibitionist approach to get money in the coffers while hurting the state economy. In any case, I'd bet money that any legislation that limits the production, or transport, of homebrew would be related to this. Probably to encourage people to buy commercially-produced beers and pay the asinine tax imposed on them.
Back to top Go down
Dean Gundberg

Dean Gundberg

PostSubject: Re: Oregon is banning home brew competitions?   Oregon is banning home brew competitions? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 2:35 pm

The situation is that there is an overlooked, 80-year-old statute that says Oregon home-brewed beer can't leave the home. Brewers were reminded of the statute after the Oregon Department of Justice clarified the law for a pub seeking to serve home brew at an event.

The Oregon Liquor Control Commission knows that this is a problem and is planning on getting it changed as soon as they can through legislative means.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-08-09-homebrew09_ST_N.htm

I don't think ND has a similar law. No one is advocating selling homebrew but I know homebrew has been provided at an event in Jamestown and we hope to have it provided for sampling at a beer fest sponsored by the local Shriners her in Fargo next Spring.

Edit: Added the link.

Last edited by Dean Gundberg on Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://prairiehomebrewers.org
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Oregon is banning home brew competitions?   Oregon is banning home brew competitions? EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 2:00 pm

Ok, maybe I’m a little late on this one, but I noticed a little add in my new BYO magazine, and it said you can't even take your home brew to a friend’s house, absolutely no transporting it? Really is this BS or what? How can you be one of the brew capitals of the world and put such restrictions on home brewers? Probably would not be the brew capital if it wasn't for them anyway!

Any thoughts or info is appreciated, is this concern for ND in the future?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oregon is banning home brew competitions?   Oregon is banning home brew competitions? Empty

Back to top Go down

Oregon is banning home brew competitions?
Page 1 of 1