Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

getting to the 2nd fermentor

Go down 
+3
r@fink
randi philleo
JaymeG
7 posters
AuthorMessage
JaymeG

JaymeG

getting to the 2nd fermentor Empty
PostSubject: Re: getting to the 2nd fermentor   getting to the 2nd fermentor EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 5:04 pm

I used the ol' fish tank pump this weekend. The only thing was on the 1st batch I couldn't get the tubes to the bottom. So for the 2nd batch I stuck a wire clothes hanger inside the tubes.... issue solved. Worked GREAT!
Back to top Go down
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

PostSubject: Re: getting to the 2nd fermentor   getting to the 2nd fermentor EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 9:03 am

I used to and I got good results. Now I use an oxygen tank and a little regulator with a .5 micron stainless steel stone. I needed to have a better idea of my oxygen input.
Back to top Go down
JaymeG

JaymeG

PostSubject: Re: getting to the 2nd fermentor   getting to the 2nd fermentor EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 6:56 pm

Mike, so you just use an aquarium pump with the stone filter to airrate?
Back to top Go down
JaymeG

JaymeG

PostSubject: Re: getting to the 2nd fermentor   getting to the 2nd fermentor EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 6:34 pm

That is VERY good to know! That my be why I am having issues with head retention.
Back to top Go down
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

PostSubject: Re: getting to the 2nd fermentor   getting to the 2nd fermentor EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 6:27 pm

That's correct. The proteins that create the head only form once. The higher the foaming in your oxygenation process, the less potential you have for head retention, etc.
Back to top Go down
Beer Dealer

Beer Dealer

PostSubject: Re: getting to the 2nd fermentor   getting to the 2nd fermentor EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 5:52 pm

mike frohlich wrote:
Another thing to keep in mind. Head forming proteins only form once. If you cause a lot of foam during your aeration, you could have some head stability issues once your beer is finished.

Mike i think this is something many like me did not know prior......the foaming you cause when aerating is actually bad as you mention...then the foam you want for the head can be reduced,,,is this right?? Jeff
Back to top Go down
http://www.wwnh.net
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

PostSubject: Re: getting to the 2nd fermentor   getting to the 2nd fermentor EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 1:03 pm

You do take a chance of pulling in unfiltered air. I never had a problem with this using my aquarium pump (they do make filters for those that are around a $1.50).

I now use a pure O2 regulator and stainless steel .5 micron stone with an oxygen tank. 2 minutes and your wort is oxygenated.

My opinion: This is the most critical step for your beer, for sanitation and for getting a measured amount of oxygen into the wort. The method you choose is up to you.
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: getting to the 2nd fermentor   getting to the 2nd fermentor EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 12:27 pm

so would you say the tip below is a good or bad idea then? see pics @ http://www.strangebrew.ca/Drew/cheap.html
this was brought to my attention by our very own Randi!

By the way as a firefighter it is the same concept as foam induction or hydraulic ventilation (just a little gee wiz knowlege for ya)

Tip 1 - home made aerator

Replaces: oxygen tank and air stone, or shaking the hell out of your carboy
Cost: < $1
The aerator is just a 15 cm piece of copper tubing (3/8" OD) with a series of small holes drilled in it, and a slight bend in the middle. The aerator is inserted in the racking tube / transfer hose, with the holes near the top of the pipe (not near the end). When the cooled wort is transferred to the fermenter, air is sucked into the pipe, and the wort is oxygenated. Check out the foam in the carboy in this picture. I've had excellent results (fast starts, good attenuation) with this method.

The bend ensures that you can sit the aerator on the mouth of the carboy and it won't fall in.

Back to top Go down
mike frohlich

mike frohlich

PostSubject: Re: getting to the 2nd fermentor   getting to the 2nd fermentor EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 11:50 am

Another thing to keep in mind. Head forming proteins only form once. If you cause a lot of foam during your aeration, you could have some head stability issues once your beer is finished.
Back to top Go down
dkwandt

dkwandt

PostSubject: Re: getting to the 2nd fermentor   getting to the 2nd fermentor EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 11:04 am

does it matter extra virgin? where can i read more about this?
Back to top Go down
Mike Philleo

Mike Philleo

PostSubject: Re: getting to the 2nd fermentor   getting to the 2nd fermentor EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 7:09 pm

I better be careful. If I start adding olive oil to my beers, I might get mistaken for Rachel Ray!
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: getting to the 2nd fermentor   getting to the 2nd fermentor EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 3:47 pm

Oh, you're talking about adding Olive Oil to the yeast. You know, I've never personally known of anyone whose tried that. Didn't they do that at New Belgium Brewery? Sounds like something Mike P should try. Wink

For anyone who doesn't know about OO. The goal of adding Olive Oil is to provide unsaturated fatty acids, because that's what the yeasts are using the oxygen for.

Yeast + Oxygen = Fatty Acids

I've read good reviews about people using it. You don't need much, like 1/8th teaspoon for a batch.

I'm working on a stir-plate now. Maybe that (stir plate) + Olive Oil = Explosive Yeast
Back to top Go down
http://www.muddyrivermashers.com
r@fink

r@fink

PostSubject: Re: getting to the 2nd fermentor   getting to the 2nd fermentor EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 3:33 pm

Or shake and bake! Has anyone tried the Olive Oil method?
Back to top Go down
http://rakfink.blogspot.com/
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: getting to the 2nd fermentor   getting to the 2nd fermentor EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 12:41 pm

Haha! Live, Brew, and Learn. It happens to all of us.

Have you thought about using a different aeration method, either the aquarium method (cheaper, around $Cool or straight oxygen (probably a $45 dollar investment)?
Back to top Go down
JaymeG

JaymeG

PostSubject: Re: getting to the 2nd fermentor   getting to the 2nd fermentor EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 12:26 pm

ok..........thank you! just another rookie mistake. I learned from this mistake. The batch I brewed today, I used a flashlight to shine through the foam. Worked great! Shocked
Back to top Go down
randi philleo
Admin
randi philleo

PostSubject: Re: getting to the 2nd fermentor   getting to the 2nd fermentor EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 9:11 am

Hmm... I've heard of people letting their beer ferment, then adding sterile yet cooled water with their priming sugar into their bottle bucket or keg. You may want to run some final gravity calculations before you do that though, just to account for the dilution... so you don't drive your FG down too far.
Back to top Go down
JaymeG

JaymeG

PostSubject: getting to the 2nd fermentor   getting to the 2nd fermentor EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 12:47 am

My last batch I made was a Blonde Ale. I rigged up a mixer this time to attatch to my drill. I Airrated it soo much that when I was done I had soo much foam I couldn't tell for sure where I was to the 5 gal level. I opened up my fermentor to siphon to the 2nd I was only at 4 gal.! Is it ok to add sterile water to the 2nd fermentor to make it back up to 5 gal? scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: getting to the 2nd fermentor   getting to the 2nd fermentor Empty

Back to top Go down

getting to the 2nd fermentor
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Muddy River Mashers :: Brewing Questions-
Jump to: