Muddy River Mashers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Muddy River Mashers Homebrew Club of Bismarck ND.

Home  Calendar  Latest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  MRM Main Site  
This forum is no longer active!
For the new Muddy River Masher Forums, please visit MuddyRiverMashers.org.

Tyler's "July Amber Ale"

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tyler

Tyler

Tyler's "July Amber Ale" Empty
PostSubject: Tyler's "July Amber Ale"   Tyler's "July Amber Ale" EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 9:46 am

A few people asked me to post the recipe for my amber ale at the last meeting. I actually brewed the recipe as a partial-mash in the first place but I'll just post it as an all-grain recipe because it's easy to convert to extract and not a whole lot of people brew in a partial-mash process.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

SG: 1.054
FG: 1.013
ABV: 5.4%
IBU: 44
SRM: 11º

5 lbs. Maris Otter
4 lbs. American Two-Row
1.5 lbs. Munich 20
8 oz. Crystal 60
1 oz. Chocolate

0.5 oz. Nugget at 60mins
0.5 oz. Simcoe at 10mins
0.5 oz. Simcoe at 5mins
0.5 oz. Amarillo at 5mins
0.5 oz. Amarillo at 0mins

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Mash at 152

Ferment at 63º, after a few days, raise the temperature slowly (a degree a day-ish) so it gets to 66º. Hold it there for another week to make sure the yeast has finished up.

Carbonate with 3.5 oz of priming sugar.

*Brewer's Note: The blend of Maris Otter and American Two-Row as the base malt (plus the addition of the Munich malt) lends a bit of a cracker/bread crust flavor that I like. The beer would probably be pretty good by just going with just 9 lbs. of one or the other. Maris Otter will give you a more bready/crusty/cracker-like flavor than American Two-Row. The more of the bready flavors you get, the less the hop flavors will stand out. I like the flavors/aromas of the Simcoe/Amarillo combination so I split the difference between the American Two-Row and Maris Otter.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

I like this beer a bunch and, if you liked it at the meetings, you can brew it for yourself. It'll probably be a little different for each brewer and their brewing system, but it'll be in the same range. To be 100% honest, it'll probably turn out better for you guys than it did for me. I wasn't too sure of my partial-mash process when I brewed it so the beer could turn out even better for someone who is fairly consistent with their brewing processes.

Good luck, everybody.
Back to top Go down

Tyler's "July Amber Ale"
Page 1 of 1